Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Graphics Driver Surpassing 4 Million Lines Of Code In Linux 5.19, NVIDIA Opens Up At 1 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Graphics Driver Surpassing 4 Million Lines Of Code In Linux 5.19, NVIDIA Opens Up At 1 Million

Phoronix: AMD Graphics Driver Surpassing 4 Million Lines Of Code In Linux 5.19, NVIDIA Opens Up At 1 Million

Given the NVIDIA open-source kernel driver code announcement from yesterday and also the Linux 5.19 merge window coming up soon with a host of AMDGPU/AMDKFD kernel driver improvements and starting to prepare support for RDNA3, it's time for some fun with numbers around driver sizes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Was any approximate kernel version given for when this code is expected to be merged? I'm guessing 5.20 is optimistic so will probably miss out on the next GPU launches. Maybe in time for 5000 series?

Comment

Can't wait to see what happens on the user-space side; Mesa, Wayland compositors, etc...if the NVIDIA ecosystem will become just as simple and nice as an AMD or Intel GPU system.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
        Was any approximate kernel version given for when this code is expected to be merged? I'm guessing 5.20 is optimistic so will probably miss out on the next GPU launches. Maybe in time for 5000 series?
        Not the same, but it's in the AUR already

Comment

It would be more informative to present the number of C lines not counting the headers.
          Not sure I am reading it correctly, but it is 476k for AMD and 742k for NVidia?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            *It's already in the testing repository

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post
              Fuck me. I just assumed it wouldn't be there yet. Even better. Cool

Comment

It would be very surprising if it's mainlined even this year at all.... The API/ABI isn't yet stable, no Mesa clients using the kernel driver yet, etc.... Lots of work ahead. At least a few kernel cycles before it would likely be stable enough for mainline.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm guessing 6.20 is optimistic. Just look how long it took to AMD and theirs initial driver was fully prepared on AMD side to be merged. No "alpha graphics support", "unstable kernel api" and no "missing open source user space part".

Comment

Sounds like they moved more of the driver blob into the hardware... so the driver probably still isn't even close to being as ideal as AMD's which mostly is either documented all the way down to the GPU ISA or is itself documentation of that as well as the surrounding control hardware. It seems Nvidia's probably only documents the CU ISA + moves all the control stuff into a blob that the driver talks to.

Comment

Working...
                    X