Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce FX / 6 / 7 Series GPUs Get Notable Open-Source Driver Improvement In 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooof, that marketing image really didn't age well.

Comment

If someone's bored please take a look at GeForce GT 710/730 (GK208-301-A1) and GeForce GT 720 (GK208-201-B1).

None of those cards have worked for me. I owned 4 of them and no hardware issues form what I can tell. Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS so many artifacts that I can't debug using the GUI. Modesetting seems to work these days (caused system lockups in the past). https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pv...ponding.35930/ These days of I set "options nouveau noaccel=1" then my system works, well ok I lied, it doesn't work since the CPU does all the rendering but at least the system is stable enough to write code.

Now for something less serious xD ...

Comment

Originally posted by cheese View Post
        I know that the gpu shortage is hitting people hard, but this is getting a bit out of hand.
        we do what we can do help out

Comment

Hey, I like the fact that it is an option. This is the beauty of open-source.

The FX 5200 was a DX9-era card and while not great for gaming - would make for a good occasional-use GPU in a headless machine when needed.

Having a lag-free GUI is always nice. And well, idk. If you want to offload some video rendering to it before viewing it over the network? Maybe? Maybe? Idk

Comment

Does anyone know what's needed to be able to readout the utilization of the different IP blocks of a GPU - i.e. for adding this functionality to the Nouveau driver?

I have an old device with a Geforce 9400M (VRAM is shared system RAM) that is still being used and I would like to be able to switch away from the unmaintained 340series legacy proprietary driver, as it may break with any new Kernel or Xorg release now.

Since manual reclocking does work with Nouveau for this and earlier generation of GPUs, I assume that missing utlization readout capability is the last blocker preventing the implementation of a simple automatic reclocking algorithm or wiring up devfreq, which I would like to try.

Comment

I hope they also fix GeForce 6150LE/SE (NV4C), since propietary drivers are EOL and nouveau doesn't support it correctly (either renders with massive glitches, or freezes with screen garbage).

Comment

Working...
              X