Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA VAAPI Driver 0.0.5 Released With AV1 Acceleration

Phoronix: NVIDIA VAAPI Driver 0.0.5 Released With AV1 Acceleration

Started recently was an experimental VA-API implementation atop NVIDIA's NVDEC interface. This independently-developed, open-source implementation has successfully allowed Mozilla Firefox's VA-API video acceleration to work with NVIDIA's proprietary driver with its NVDEC video decoding interface. A new release of nvidia-vaapi-driver is now available that now offers AV1 support too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like to imagine that this project started with something like this:

"No VA-API support? I will build my own..."

maxresdefault.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      I like to imagine that this project started with something like this:
      I hate you so much. Just seeing that picture earwigged me with Whalers on the Moon.

My head has that running on a loop.

It was I've Got a Feeling. You ruined my Beatles earwig.

Comment

This project gives me hope that in case I end up using Nvidia card I will at least get VA-API support. But they already provided GBM API so who knows how tables will turn.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post
          This project gives me hope that in case I end up using Nvidia card I will at least get VA-API support. But they already provided GBM API so who knows how tables will turn.
          The first rule of Linux Club is: you do not buy a Nvidia card.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

The first rule of Linux Club is: you do not buy a Nvidia card.
            I was at first a FreeBSD fan and their support back in the 11.x series was so bad for anything BUT Nvidia that I bought a cheap Nvidia card. Now I am an OpenBSD fan and they work with anything BUT an Nvidia card. Funny how the tables turned.

Comment

Anyone know if this support is just for Linux or extends to Nvidia's excellent Unix driver that supports FreeBSD and Solaris?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I was at first a FreeBSD fan and their support back in the 11.x series was so bad for anything BUT Nvidia that I bought a cheap Nvidia card. Now I am an OpenBSD fan and they work with anything BUT an Nvidia card. Funny how the tables turned.
                I know, I was kidding. I'm only using AMD for the past 2 years, before that - 20 years on Nvidia because AMD's drivers always sucked even on Windows and Intel's graphics were (and are) too weak.

Comment

I hope they'll also fix their GBM implementation so it properly works with multiple GPU's.
                  e.g. when your laptop also has an Intel GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I hate you so much. Just seeing that picture earwigged me with Whalers on the Moon.

My head has that running on a loop.

It was I've Got a Feeling. You ruined my Beatles earwig.
                    Beatles? Argh, I did you a favor. They were never the same after Paul as exchanged by that clone.

Comment

Working...
                    X