Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vsteel View Post

How so?
    Typically when buying electrical products, the product should operate and last until a hardware failure. Most electrical/computer hardware with open source software/drivers will last 20+ years, or maybe much longer nowadays.

When buying nVidea, the hardware only lasts as long as the software/drivers function. When the software/drivers fails to be maintained, the hardware will imminently fail working with the operating systems, even though the hardware is functioning fine.

Similar to buying a girl. She's just there taking your money and while trying to look better than the other girls.

You want a home cooked meal? Laundry washed? Forget it! She will likely only last a short period of time before running off.

nVidea products are pretty much use for 3-5 years, and toss in the garbage. Why I bought my latest laptop with no proprietary GPU, a laptop with Intel Xe GPU. The laptop will likely function 20+ years. Briefly tested ARMA 3, and ARMA 3 was playable, against the advice of the Intel software stating the opposite.

Seems we're wasting time & money on nVidea products, even though the binary driver is well maintained. The driver should likely be open sourced after 5+ years, for preventing such waste.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post

Typically when buying electrical products, the product should operate and last until a hardware failure. Most electrical/computer hardware with open source software/drivers will last 20+ years, or maybe much longer nowadays.

When buying nVidea, the hardware only lasts as long as the software/drivers function. When the software/drivers fails to be maintained, the hardware will imminently fail working with the operating systems, even though the hardware is functioning fine.

Similar to buying a girl. She's just there taking your money and while trying to look better than the other girls.

You want a home cooked meal? Laundry washed? Forget it! She will likely only last a short period of time before running off.

nVidea products are pretty much use for 3-5 years, and toss in the garbage. Why I bought my latest laptop with no proprietary GPU, a laptop with Intel Xe GPU. The laptop will likely function 20+ years. Briefly tested ARMA 3, and ARMA 3 was playable, against the advice of the Intel software stating the opposite.

Seems we're wasting time & money on nVidea products, even though the binary driver is well maintained. The driver should likely be open sourced after 5+ years, for preventing such waste.
      There's plenty of HW which is still not supported by open source anything and only works under proprietary OSes. GPUs are just one example.

This is not limited to NVIDIA. Smartphones are another perfect examples and they are sold in hundreds of millions. LineageOS, while it exists, supports a very limited number of devices and oftentimes many phones features do not work correctly with it.

NVIDIA GPUs are perfectly supported by up to 10 years (unlike AMD which has recently deprecated their 6 yo GPUs). And in 5 years you are unable to play new games because there's no raw power anyways. AMD and Intel are not exempt from it (Intel actually doesn't have any decent GPUs in the first place). In the meantime NVIDIA, with the introduction of DLSS, has actually made possible to extend their GPUs lifetime.

Also, there's no need mangle NVIDIA's name. If anything it shows you in a bad light, not the company.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

... (Intel actually doesn't have any decent GPUs in the first place)

Also, there's no need mangle NVIDIA's name. If anything it shows you in a bad light, not the company.
        I just stated the facts, along with some similar examples. I never stated anything similar to nVidia having no descent GPU's.

If somebody thinks facts are mangling their name, why convict the person stating the truth and/or facts? This is similar to a crook blaming the cop that caught him stealing. I think a lot of us can see where this is heading.

I disagree, at least at the time of this writing, Intel does appear to have some really descent stable GPU's! I haven't mucked with any proprietary driver re-installs since installing Linux on my Dell Inspiron 5502 Intel Xe GPU laptop, and further more, installing Void LInux was an extreme breeze without GPU software install hurdles! Everything just works. (Well almost everything works with the Dell Inspiron 5502 laptop; touchpad is a bit flaky with two Dell defined BIOS touchpad interfaces/devices with no second mouse button within basic Linux console, fingerprint reader not supported in Linux, and sound/speakers are extremely flat/weak sounding requiring equalizer adjustment/boosts.)

My next desktop/E-ATX will likely be Intel GPU based. Tossing my one game addiction in the trash. Maybe I'll pick-up reading the Bible during evenings as a substitute for winding down?
        Last edited by rogerx; 02 July 2021, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I just stated the facts, along with some similar examples. I never stated anything similar to nVidia having no descent GPU's.

If somebody thinks facts are mangling their name, why convict the person stating the truth and/or facts? This is similar to a crook blaming the cop that caught him stealing. I think a lot of us can see where this is heading.

I disagree, at least at the time of this writing, Intel does appear to have some really descent stable GPU's! I haven't mucked with any proprietary driver re-installs since installing Linux on my Dell Inspiron 5502 Intel Xe GPU laptop, and further more, installing Void LInux was an extreme breeze without GPU software install hurdles! Everything just works. (Well almost everything works with the Dell Inspiron 5502 laptop; touchpad is a bit flaky with two Dell defined BIOS touchpad interfaces/devices with no second mouse button within basic Linux console, fingerprint reader not supported in Linux, and sound/speakers are extremely flat/weak sounding requiring equalizer adjustment/boosts.)

My next desktop/E-ATX will likely be Intel GPU based. Tossing my one game addiction in the trash. Maybe I'll pick-up reading the Bible during evenings as a substitute for winding down?
          I gave you counterarguments which rendered your facts invalid. Moreover Intel had Atom iGPUs for which no open source drivers had been ever made available.

Again, you believe if current AMD and Intel have open source drivers, everyone else must have them. But it's still nothing but a belief. There's no law, or common sense or anything which stipulates that. Apple and multiple Android SoCs have completely closed iGPU drivers. No one has been hurt.
          Last edited by avem; 02 July 2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I gave you counterarguments which rendered your facts invalid.

Moreover Intel had Atom iGPUs for which no open source drivers had been ever made available.

Funny how people will argue with truth.

Granted, I likely do the same thing whenever I'm involved or talking with a good looking girl. I'll even go so far as to talk her ear-off with a whole lotta irrelevant facts.

Nothing what you stated, has changed the fact nVidia has closed source drivers, rendering the graphics cards to a trash can (eg. garbage can, trash dumpster, landfill, burn pit) after the driver's maintenance end of life. Having an nVidia graphics card embedded on a laptop gives the laptop a death sentence after five or so years. (eg. My 2001 Dell Inspiron 8100 is still functioning to this day, while lacking GPU acceleration due to being an nVidia GPU, completely hindering the laptop's usage.)

Dunno why you want to argue. Not like I'm stopping you from buying an nVidia graphics card. It's your time and money.

Comment

Funny how people will argue with truth.

Granted, I likely do the same thing whenever I'm involved or talking with a good looking girl. I'll even go so far as to talk her ear-off with a whole lotta irrelevant facts.

Nothing what you stated, has changed the fact nVidia has closed source drivers, rendering the graphics cards to a trash can (eg. garbage can, trash dumpster, landfill, burn pit) after the driver's maintenance end of life. Having an nVidia graphics card embedded on a laptop gives the laptop a death sentence after five or so years. (eg. My 2001 Dell Inspiron 8100 is still functioning to this day, while lacking GPU acceleration due to being an nVidia GPU, completely hindering the laptop's usage.)

Dunno why you want to argue. Not like I'm stopping you from buying an nVidia graphics card. It's your time and money.

Old graphics card are useless under modern operating systems and for heavy modern games. They are perfectly supported under the OSes they were released for initially. Please continue to argue with yourself.

Comment

Old graphics card are useless under modern operating systems and for heavy modern games. They are perfectly supported under the OSes they were released for initially. Please continue to argue with yourself.
                Sounds like innuendo supporting nVidia's completely closed source driver strategy.

As far as arguing, you're the one whom initially was arguing with facts, and subsequently admitting to arguing. But at last, I think we finally meet on common ground on your last statement here; you do admit in your previous statement the cards are useless, after their intended number of years usage. (eg. For most people, useless usually equates to trash or garbage, or where useless items are placed.) As such, buy an open sourced graphics card, which may not perform as well, but will be more stable and will results in a system lasting many many years into the future.

Regardless, the more innuendo I hear about nVidia not pushing old/deprecated code into open source or into the Linux kernel, the more I (and likely others) do not want to further buy into nVidia. Big misconception, it is likely the vast majority of people purchasing an nVidia cards are for performance rather than games, using their graphics cards within business environments and could care less about frame rates or keeping up with the gaming community.

By the way, on a more serious note, are you a bot? Possibly powered by nVidia's new Deep Learning? I mean, those are some pretty good almost relevant responses! (If so, Kudos here!) Then on your final statement, you do a 180 with rhetoric while admitting or confirming the truth. Depending on the type of music, one can almost dance to the responses innuendo! On second thought, the responses are almost musical and entertaining! I mean, I could probably really use that nVidia Deep Learning while explaining to the girlfriend/wife, why I did what I didn't do!

Comment

Sounds like innuendo supporting nVidia's completely closed source driver strategy.

As far as arguing, you're the one whom initially was arguing with facts, and subsequently admitting to arguing. But at last, I think we finally meet on common ground on your last statement here; you do admit in your previous statement the cards are useless, after their intended number of years usage. (eg. For most people, useless usually equates to trash or garbage, or where useless items are placed.) As such, buy an open sourced graphics card, which may not perform as well, but will be more stable and will results in a system lasting many many years into the future.

Regardless, the more innuendo I hear about nVidia not pushing old/deprecated code into open source or into the Linux kernel, the more I (and likely others) do not want to further buy into nVidia. Big misconception, it is likely the vast majority of people purchasing an nVidia cards are for performance rather than games, using their graphics cards within business environments and could care less about frame rates or keeping up with the gaming community.

By the way, on a more serious note, are you a bot? Possibly powered by nVidia's new Deep Learning? I mean, those are some pretty good almost relevant responses! (If so, Kudos here!) Then on your final statement, you do a 180 with rhetoric while admitting or confirming the truth. Depending on the type of music, one can almost dance to the responses innuendo! On second thought, the responses are almost musical and entertaining! I mean, I could probably really use that nVidia Deep Learning while explaining to the girlfriend/wife, why I did what I didn't do!
                  I buy video cards based on 1) the quality of their drivers and there's just one company which has top notch drivers for the only desktop gaming OS which is not Linux 2) the second similarly important metrics is power efficiency. Navi 2 has been the first power efficient GPU uArch in the past I guess ~12 years but Navi 2 GPUs are currently priced to the stratosphere and have TBP which is far above of what I am willing to put in my case.

I am a bot and since you've ventured into insults, I have nothing else to discuss with you. In your first message you made it perfectly clear that you decide how the world must work. The world doesn't care and works differently. Goodbye.
                  Last edited by avem; 02 July 2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Shrugs, sorry to hear you are not a bot engineered using nVidia's Deep Learning, nicely played though. I had to ask as some chat bots do get similarly chatty. Some were really tricky 10+ year ago and can only imagine how much better they're likely getting.

And please note, those were not insults. Simply, at most, more innuendo. I simply get a little tired of people trying to prove facts are lies, and then further stating people stating the facts/truth are liars and/or insane. (Ref legal def.)

At no time did I insult you. Might want to re-examine what you've previously stated. Kind of sucks to give/waste $1,000-2,000 to nVidia, and then have to deal with people trying to forcefully change my mind about Intel's GPUs within a public forum.

I use to buy nVidia explicitly, not for the gaming ability, but for stability, or what stability they do offer using Linux.

The more I read/hear, the more I want to run from nVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

You could also stop buying crap from this piece of shit vendor (nvidia = novideo).
                      I have stopped buying crap. My last crap from the "piece of shit vendor" I bought was in 2019, and even so it was just for testing/fixing KWin on "piece of shit vendor".

Comment

Working...
                      X