Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source Driver Flips On OpenGL ES 3.1 For Select NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    In the meantime Nvidia Pascal gpus are still with no support from nouveau..
    shame..
    Nonsense.

Using GT 1030 with Nouveau and it has everything needed to run a working desktop.

No reclocking is not even worth a fart unless you are a gamerfag.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 07 June 2021, 11:54 PM.

Comment

As much I'm impressed by Nouveau's work, imho if there's Geforce in PC during OS's installation we should print warning that "Nvidia doesn't provide essential drivers for power management. Experience can be suboptimal."

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
        Please, dear Nouveau devs, finish the power management & automatic reclocking work for old Nvidia GPUs already. Nvidia has dropped support for the 340 drivers last year and new kernel and X server revisions have come out since then, which means that 340 drivers cannot be used at all anymore in the majority of distros. I have an old notebook w/ 9400M and the current state of PM costs me at least 1hr usable of battery life (+ even when manually setting the lowest pstate, the GPU draws 4W more than w/ the old proprietary driver).

I would write a simple userspace daemon that reads GPU utilization on a regular interval and set the pstate in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate but there aren't even any performance counters/GPU load indicators exposed…
        not enough people and more important things to work on sadly :/ I might look into random nice to haves after I completely fixed the multithreading issues, but ... oh well..

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

not enough people and more important things to work on sadly :/ I might look into random nice to haves after I completely fixed the multithreading issues, but ... oh well..
          How's the status on that coming along?

It's a huge issue for people on stable distributions running on older versions of the kernel, Mesa, Plasma Wayland and Qt applications. Without forcing RENDER_LOOP to basic, Nouveau is guaranteed to lock up the system. Has been proven to happen on older versions of Plasma Wayland, and I was also able to trigger it in Gnome with the latest Zoom client which now uses an updated version of Qt5 and thus supports Wayland.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 08 June 2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Yes, better OpenCL support (in MESA Gallium Compute) is far far more important than better drivers for older NVIDIA GPUs, - sorry kiffmet to be selfish. But there is perhaps some hope on the horizon, maybe NVIDIA will change their driver politics someday and do it more like Intel or AMD.

Thanks to all GPU devs for their GREAT work in these open-source drivers!

Comment

I would like to help, but it's quite hard to start with it. I haven't found enough beginner resources to actually begin working on it. Maybe I'll finally get into it this summer

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

How's the status on that coming along?

It's a huge issue for people on stable distributions running on older versions of the kernel, Mesa, Plasma Wayland and Qt applications. Without forcing RENDER_LOOP to basic, Nouveau is guaranteed to lock up the system. Has been proven to happen on older versions of Plasma Wayland, and I was also able to trigger it in Gnome with the latest Zoom client which now uses an updated version of Qt5 and thus supports Wayland.
                too slow... but I have a branch fixing it and it doesn't regress anything. It just not upstreamable in its current form.

Comment

too slow... but I have a branch fixing it and it doesn't regress anything. It just not upstreamable in its current form.
                  I look forward to the day it can be upstreamed.

In the meantime, you mentioned that there is a separate branch containing the fix. What branch is that? Is that a whole kernel branch?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Nonsense.

Using GT 1030 with Nouveau and it has everything needed to run a working desktop.

No reclocking is not even worth a fart unless you are a gamerfag.
                    A working desktop without Graphics power management, fans always speeding, and no 3d acceleration... you run a nice desktop...not.
                    And we doesn't even started to talk about video acceleration... which is another problem, yeah there is none!

Codecs are only available in the binary blob closed source driver..

Comment

I'd like to ask if the open driver with the Geforce 210 actually support not only the automatic clock but also the voltage itself in a "on demand" way or instead single fixed values. Cause I wonder if these gpu might not be designed to run always for example at a fixed/high voltage (just a theory for longer gpu lifetime) and/or at highest clocks. Any info about this? Beside the supported features at least to be sure the GPU is actually working in the right way.

Comment

Working...
                      X