Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Working On Bringing Up Some OpenGL Compute Shader Support For NV50 Era GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Working On Bringing Up Some OpenGL Compute Shader Support For NV50 Era GPUs

Phoronix: Nouveau Working On Bringing Up Some OpenGL Compute Shader Support For NV50 Era GPUs

Open-source "Nouveau" driver developers have been working on at least partial support for OpenGL compute within the NV50 Gallium3D driver that is used by the NVIDIA GeForce 8 series through GeForce 300 series graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If someone feels like working on framebuffer and 2d acceleration for NV11 I would really appreciate it

Comment

I would think these prehistoric beasts have been extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
        I just tossed an Nvidia TNT 2 last year along with an HP Intel Pentium Pro motherboard & CPU - with a whopping 96MB of RAM. There's a Radeon 2600 lurking in my boxes somewhere. I've got a Dell PowerEdge SC420 and an OptiPlex desktop right next to it on the shelf behind me. They're useful when I come across software - especially certain utilities - that work best on systems like those. Granted that's all CLI or very basic built in graphics, but they still exist, still chugging strong, and still useful from time to time. I even have a caddie of 3.5"s in the top of my closet that test out, a 5.25" floppy drive, and an IDE Zip drive with usable disks that I can use in the OptiPlex. I also have an ancient Dell Inspiron in the same closet with the 3.5" floppies. There's considerable money in supporting old equipment, simply because younguns can't figure out one end of a GPIB cable from another. Those ancient systems still "just work". Um... at least till they blow a cap, but that can usually be fixed. I have a bar here at home, though. If I have no way to power up a board or system I'll toss it finally.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          what else can nouveau really do? without nvidia releasing firmware they can use for newer cards, all they really have to mess around with is older cards.

Comment

Would be good to see OpenCL on AMD/ATI TeraScale 1. Mesa OpenCL starts with TeraScale 2, but TeraScale 1 were OpenCL capable.
            Last edited by illwieckz; 02 May 2021, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Now you can mine at 1 MHz.

Comment

In this market situation this is actually quite commendable.

Comment

It's very kind of them that they're still working on that hw.

NVIDIA, shame on you.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                    It's very kind of them that they're still working on that hw.

NVIDIA, shame on you.
                    Nvidia actively supports even the GeForce FX series from 20 years ago. Unlike Mesa devs that can't copy and paste 5 lines of free public code to have OGL4 support on Terascale. Go figure...

Comment

Working...
                    X