Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Still Pushing Forward In 2020 Thanks To Red Hat But Community Developers Leaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    Britoid are you sure? ive notice that after disabling nouveau i can still see the text console.
    if that text console works then they can always make an option to allow you to download the driver or install it from usb (floppy lol).
    installers can be made also in text mode.

i also don't agree with this stupid mentality that everything has to be free. after all people spend a lot of time to make something. if some decides to make a free software/service that doesn't mean that everybody has to do the same just to satisfy others selfness (if thats the word)
    No one is arguing everything should be free, but the Linux desktop IS SUPPOSED TO BE FREE, that's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      I suppose the question is why reproduce the wheel? Nvidia has an awesome corporate driver developed in house and with very good support for their hardware. Its closed source ... so what its awesome how well it works!
      this question is stupid if you recall that nouveau had many community contributors in the past when novideo had same corporate windows shit with linux wrapper. and now they have left nouveau, so the reason is not existence of novideo proprietary shit. my guess is they all bought amd videocards, because people smarter than you wouldn't support most linux-hostile vendor
      Last edited by pal666; 01 February 2020, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I suppose the question is why reproduce the wheel? Nvidia has an awesome corporate driver developed in house and with very good support for their hardware. Its closed source ... so what its awesome how well it works!
        There is no reason to have to use a binary driver. It's not magic technology. Such drivers always cause loads of maintenance and upgrade issues with operating systems and related components. NVIDIA is just creating more problems for their users for no reason. This I'll give up my password for a chocolate bar mentality from NVIDIA users is moronically stupid.

Comment

Keep in mind though that the company that produces the hardware has absolutely no requirement or reason to support said open source initiative.
          surely company has absolutely no requirements to support linux, but linux users also have absolutely no requirement to support such company. see how it works?
          Nvidia produces hardware and the software to drive it. Enjoy the fact that it works so well!
          moron, it does not work at all outside of novideo sandbox

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            surely company has absolutely no requirements to support linux, but linux users also have absolutely no requirement to support such company. see how it works?
            moron, it does not work at all outside of novideo sandbox
            Hey feel free to not use Nvidia No one is forcing anyone to use Nvidia. I use them because they have the best support and performance... especially on Linux!

Freedom is great that way!

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Have you tried using a GPU-accelerated desktop on LLVMPIPE?
              I must admit I have never even heard of LLVMPIPE. I just did some research on it and yah... that would suck. Also using the windows desktop pre-driver install is entirely pointless, unless you love retro computing!

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
                I agree with you but there's a bunch of Linux cry babies that will get very argumentative on that topic that everything has to be open source. I feel that the proprietary driver should be used by default on installation.
                i feel that your childish brain produces fantasies conflicting with reality. on installation there is no proprietary driver, because it lives on nvidia website instead of installation media. exactly because it's proprietary.
                It works far better. I've never had great times with Nouveau and switch out immediately anymore as games don't work well with it.
                it works worse. you've just bought wrong hardware, which has no linux support. all other videocards have open driver which works better. or works at all in wayland.
                Linux needs to improve. Nouveau also must improve and keep up with the latest proprietary driver or it should be removed. Anything else is holding Linux back.
                reality is much simpler: you need to grow and make smarter buying decisions. there are no proprietary drivers in linux, if you want windows novideo driver, you can just as well use windows

Comment

Aside from that I think we should have laws that automatically force the open sourcing of all abandonware.
                  Exactly; so you agree that NVIDIA should be made to open-source their 340 series driver.

Because digital law is backwards and because NVIDIA have have not released this abandoned knowledge, in my mind they are effectively as good as criminals.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 01 February 2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I think one of the reasons is that AMD's open source drivers have become so good that there is little reason to buy Nvidia hardware if you already know that you want to use open source drivers if possible. At least last time I've bought Nvidia card was in Fermi days when open source AMD drivers were nowhere near the point they are now. Noadays there is very little reason to choose Nvidia and thus no hardware to hack on occasionally (i.e. using Nvidia closed source for actual work and switching to Nouveau sometimes).

CUDA could be a reason to choose Nvidia if you don't mind it being so closed and tightly bound to one vendor. On the other hand those missing signed blobs make it impossible to get good performance with open source so there is little hope to to something actually usable some day (although I'm pretty sure that those Red Hat devs know something that we don't since someone pays them to work on Nouveau compute and stuff).

I could hack on the Fermi card I still have but with 1 GB of VRAM it's a little too weak for CS:GO even (tbh, it's a bug in the game but it had existed for a long time without hope to get it fixed when I finally retired my GTX 460 for RX 460). It's also quite power hungry (160 W TDP IIRC) for such weak card today, and it's very easy to get a faster replacement that doesn't warm up the room.

Comment

Nvidia produces hardware and the software to drive it. Enjoy the fact that it works so well! I love Linux, I love open source... but I have no qualms with a company that does not wish to FOSS their drivers... especially if said company does such an awesome job supporting their hardware.
                      "I love Linux. I love open source... but I have no qualms with a company that wants to hide malware, "telemetry", ads, spying and other garbage in their closed software. I will quite gladly bend over and take it and just blindly Consume Productâ„¢ like a unthinking, braindead bugman."

t. zexelon

Comment

Working...
                      X