Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Merged In Gallium3D 0.2

Phoronix: Nouveau Merged In Gallium3D 0.2

Stephane Marchesin, the leader of the Nouveau project, has announced that the Mesa work has been merged into the Gallium3D version 0.2 branch instead of being developed in an independent branch. Nouveau is the community project that's been reverse-engineering NVIDIA's binary Linux driver in order to provide an open-source 2D and 3D driver for NVIDIA graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This should eventuelly lead to an open-source nvidia compiz and gaming compatible driver, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
      This should eventuelly lead to an open-source nvidia compiz and gaming compatible driver, right?
      That's the idea.

Comment

Now what bugs me is... Why would someone want an open source driver to play a closed source game?
        And before you rebut me, if you're going to run a completely open source system, then more power to you.

Comment

Because the reason we like open source is that it usually results in _better_ source. The more flexibility the end user has with what they use, the better. As of now, the best games out there happen to be proprietary. That may change, but right now, that's the way it is.

I don't use open source stuff because I'm an idealist, I use it 'cause it's better.

Comment

I'd just like to say "More power to these guys!". I don't currently use their driver, but I'm really rooting for them to get to the point where loss of features/performance becomes insignificant relative to my want of OSS solutions.

Comment

So will radeon and radeonhd be incorporated too?

Comment

And Intel?

Comment

They already are. Nouveau was the only driver maintaining their own mesa tree.

BTW, there is no distinction between radeon and radeonhd in mesa. Those are names of the Xorg modesetting/2d accel drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
                    They already are. Nouveau was the only driver maintaining their own mesa tree.
                    What are you referring to with "They already are", intel?

Comment

Working...
                    X