Radeon Linux vs Windows for OCL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Linux vs Windows for OCL

I have a 8GB Sapphire RX580. I did some rudimentary OCL tests on it a few days ago. My chosen test ran fastest under Windows 10. Ubuntu 16.04 with the non-free driver was notably but not much slower than Windows whilst Ubuntu 17.10 using the latest oibaf driver was just over half the speed of what I get under Windows for my OCL compute test.

I haven't been a Radeon Linux user for a decade or so and I'm also new to OCL. As I understand it, the non-free driver I used under 16.04 is still using the old OCL code, at least for the RX580? Maybe performance will improve when I'm using ROCm?

How do I achieve optimal OCL compute performance on the RX580 using open drivers, under Ubuntu? Are the oibaf PPA AMD drivers as good as it gets?

Can we expect the new ROCm code to bring Linux OCL compute performance into parity with (or hopefully better than) the Windows Radeon driver?

Michael: It'd be nice if you could include Windows benchmarks for comparison with the Linux equivalents in future OCL tests please!

Thanks for your answers!
Working...
X