Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes More DC Patches, Disables FreeSync By Default

Phoronix: AMD Publishes More DC Patches, Disables FreeSync By Default

If you have encountered some early fallout from using the AMDGPU DC display stack or just want to help in testing patches likely to be queued for Linux 4.16, AMD has sent out another patch of DC patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought FreeSync will be included in 4.16 only? Or does that only apply for Vega?

Comment

once there is open source #FreeSync I might actually update my current 4k display to a (slightly bigger?) FreeSync one: https://rene.rebe.de/2014-01-27/dell...p2414q-on-mac/ and get a decent #AMD GPU card just for that, too ;-)

Comment

Does anyone know if "Primitive Shaders" will also come to Linux?

Comment

I'm still waiting for a decent FreeSync 2 display.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
            I'm still waiting for a decent FreeSync 2 display.
            Any thing particular?

Comment

will freesync also work for the desktop? for wayland compositors?

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                Does anyone know if "Primitive Shaders" will also come to Linux?
                I thought they were done for radeonsi.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
                  will freesync also work for the desktop? for wayland compositors?
                  Doubt it, but I guess this is why AMD wants more time to implement Freesync properly in userspace.

On Windows, Freesync works with games running in borderless window and with video playback in the Windows 10 video app, but it will stick to it's upper limit for normal desktop work, so basically it's disabled. The transition is seamless. Sadly it doesn't work with third party video players. Not that Freesync is super useful for video playback, but I still hope it will work with mpv and others when it comes to GNU/Linux.

Comment

Are there patches to optimize the code and have a considerable lines reduction too? I wonder...

Comment

Working...
                    X