Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Ryzen + RX 570 4GB + Ubuntu 16.04: what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Ryzen + RX 570 4GB + Ubuntu 16.04: what to do?

I built my first desktop and I choose AMD,I hope this time is a good choice..., for the CPU and GPU for their open source initiative and progress.

First, I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 (with HWE) and I would like to stay here , the kernel is 4.10.0-37-generic, Mesa is 17.0.7.

I'm having some trouble:
    - I'm noting often the screen tearing effect, i.e. while watching a video, and it is annoying
    - another annoying problem is the smooth scrolling for i.e. in Firefox, I think there is something like a small ghosting effect, so the text is not clear while moving.
    I made some test on Windows 7 (latest Crimson), that actually I never use, the tearing effect is not present with video, the scrolling is much better. I tested with FreeSync ON/OFF on the monitor.
    - the pc, I think the CPU heatsink, is a little louder than in Windows but this is not a real trouble

What to do? It is better to have a new kernel and new Mesa, right? What is the best options with Ubuntu 16.04 for use the latest (pref. stable) versions? Any suggestion? Do you have similar problem and there are solutions?

My configuration is:
    - MB: MSI B350 Tomahawk
    - CPU: Ryzen 1600 (1728) with stock heatsink
    - MSI Armor 570 RX 4GB
    - Monitor: LG 24MP59G (IPS, FreeSync, NO speakers). Small note: it is still in the trial period, I can give it back, I have to put the FreeSync always ON on the monitor profile to see the BIOS and GRUB, as said in another post, also if at the moment is not working (it is connected with the in the box HDMI cable)

I admit that I still have to investigate/understand how many open driver are available and in what they differ, later...

Your kernel is OK for RX 570 but too old for Ryzen - prob best to try something newer.
    Test signature

Comment

About the screen tearing effect, you could try to configure your /etc/amd/amdrc. Here's what I have:

Code:
      <OpenGL>
        <!-- Enable VSYNC -->
        <!-- 0: always off -->
        <!-- 1: app preference (default off) -->
        <!-- 2: app preference (default on) -->
        <!-- 3: always on -->
        <!-- 4: always auto -->
        <OGLWaitVerticalSync>3</OGLWaitVerticalSync>
      </OpenGL>
      If you use VLC, be sure to set its video output to OpenGL.

In Firefox, simply disable smooth scrolling (in Advanced->General).
      Last edited by cde1; 22 October 2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

bridgman thank you, I strongly prefer to leave the official system to manage this things but this time maybe I can make an exception, I really like Ubuntu Unity so I prefer to stay on LTS. I tought a bleeding-edge video driver was more "required" and maybe I'll add the padoka stable ppa, the kernel is a little more difficult and "sensible" but if you say so, maybe I'll try the phoronix kernel

cde1 thank you, I don't have that file, so I searched for it finding an interesting article
        http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...-IN-LINUX.aspx
        for i.e. I didn't know that with video is better to have the FreeSync disabled(!?)
        Have to wait what to do with the monitor and a DP cable

Actually I always enable the smooth scrolling in Firefox, I have to find a solution to have it working properly/better.

For the video problem (actually at the moment mainly netflix... I know DRM...) maybe the TearFree option? At the moment it is on "auto"
        Last edited by donbastiano; 23 October 2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Since my last post in this thread I heard that a couple of people had reported network problems with Michael's kernel, so please make sure you know how to back out from the new kernel before you install it "just in case" (eg set up grub with a few seconds of on-screen time so you don't have to do the "press keys, curse, reboot, repeat" dance).
          Test signature

Comment

bridgman really kind, thank you, I know how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by cde1 View Post
              About the screen tearing effect, you could try to configure your /etc/amd/amdrc. Here's what I have:

Code:
              <OpenGL>
              <!-- Enable VSYNC -->
              <!-- 0: always off -->
              <!-- 1: app preference (default off) -->
              <!-- 2: app preference (default on) -->
              <!-- 3: always on -->
              <!-- 4: always auto -->
              <OGLWaitVerticalSync>3</OGLWaitVerticalSync>
              </OpenGL>
              If you use VLC, be sure to set its video output to OpenGL.

In Firefox, simply disable smooth scrolling (in Advanced->General).
              This is no longer relevant; now the setting can be changed through xrandr:

Code:
              xrandr --output DisplayPort-2 --set TearFree on

Comment

Wow, thank you for the update Meanwhile I switched to 18.04 (Unity), the monitor has changed and I found it much better (Asus VG245Q, is a TN) I still have to try to test the Freesync on Linux but I think I'll wait when it will come on 18.04 with Mesa...

Comment

Working...
                X