No announcement yet.

A New Ubuntu Kernel Build With The Very Latest AMDGPU DC Patches For 4.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for building these kernels, Michael. Running well for me so far (and fixed a resuming from sleep issue for me that was affecting all 4.13/4.14 kernel builds for me)

I have an RX 480 and enabled DC with the kernel parameter (quiet splash amdgpu.dc=1 in my /etc/default/grub)

1. HDMI/DP Audio working as intended

2. Confirming that FreeSync does not work (as already mentioned not included in this pull request). Michael's previous Ubuntu kernel builds off that branch do have a working FreeSync if anyone needs.

Code:
    $ cat /sys/module/amdgpu/parameters/dc
    $ uname -a
    Linux ubuntu 4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpu-dc-2 #1 SMP Sat Oct 7 12:15:09 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop|grep freesync
    $

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

That makes sense I guess.

I just got my x session working again after purging and reinstalling gnome-session, and now when i check xrandr, my monitor doesn't even show up as Freesync compatible like it used to do with older versions of the kernel (not that it ever actually worked, it just pretended to).

Question is, why does oleyska claim it is working on his Vega?

Yeah, that's...odd. I'd guess one of two things. Either it's reporting that freesync is enabled when it isn't, or we screwed up and left it enabled We'll have a look.
      Last edited by JordanL; 09 October 2017, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Hi kids, I didn't do my homework. The new patches are great but now I can't run the normal Ubuntu 17.04 software updater. I know I saw a list of things to do... like uninstall the custom Kernel before running the standard update then reinstalling the custom stuff... can somebody point me to it. thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Mabhatter View Post
          Hi kids, I didn't do my homework. The new patches are great but now I can't run the normal Ubuntu 17.04 software updater. I know I saw a list of things to do... like uninstall the custom Kernel before running the standard update then reinstalling the custom stuff... can somebody point me to it. thanks in advance!
          Well, did you try the normal terminal method of
          Code:
          apt-get update
          followed by
          Code:
          apt-get upgrade
          ? Running a custom kernel shouldn't block you from package updates.

On another note, it seems that the drm-next-4.15-dc branch was updated to work off of kernel 4.14-rc3 now.

Comment

Mabhatter Just follow the directions for installing and uninstalling from the Kernel/Mainline build page they work well enough. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
            I installed 17.10 under uefi and it's not uncommon to have to use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade after apt-get upgrade to get those signed kernels installed.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
            X