Radeon RX Vega Performance With Mesa 17.3-dev + LLVM 6 + drm-next-4.15-dc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Pain in the ass is to use slow debug mainline kernels instead of non debug 1000Hz timer kernels.
    https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar...Optimizations/

"
    16. Don't use debug kernels. Debug kernels are slow
    "

What you have done 17 years with Linux when your Linux knowledge is near zero.
    Can you elaborate on the benefits between "non debug 1000Hz kernels" and "debug mainline kernels", using actual facts? Because if the answer is, "my desktop feels slightly faster", then that wouldn't be of much help and just shows an instance of cargo culting. 1000 Hz could be either useful or detrimental to some applications, but until you've actually measured the difference, then your opinion doesn't hold much value. Also there are many debug options in the kernel, be more precise here.
    Last edited by cde1; 04 October 2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

As of recent, their tlack record defies your expectations. Also, proper Wayland support.
      Well I just read an article on RADV which reminded me they don't even have their Vulkan driver opensourced. I even forgot about that little hurdle...
      Last edited by Almindor; 04 October 2017, 06:07 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Measure yourself following: faster boot time, faster game benchmarks, faster desktop reaction time, stability increase (with slower cpus especially).
        Measure yourself is a lame reply. You already have the custom kernel why don't you do a bunch of phoronix test runs for us to prove your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
          Well I just read an article on RADV which reminded me they don't even have their Vulkan driver opensourced. I even forgot about that little hurdle...
          RADV is open source though, and it's compliant. Performance is coming along. Chances are that AMDGPU-PRO will fade into obscurity as RADV continues to be easier to install. Maybe AMD just rededicate some official resources to it.

Their proprietary drivers teams have always had a lot of trouble. I'd like to think it would all be better if they still had positions open by the time I applied last year, and I could have done something, but realistically there has to be some managerial or technical leadership problem there which prevents them from keeping their promises. The open source team (in concert with third-party developers) runs circles around them, pound-for-pound.
          Last edited by microcode; 04 October 2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
            Lukewarm performance really. RadeonSI needs a bit more work. Performing well in a couple of titles at least.
            Um, what? Read it again. These are the open source radeon drivers vs. the Closed NVidia driver. I'd say the results are damn impressive for AMD here. Perhaps you'd like to level the playing field, and re-run the benchmarks using Nouveau? LMAO

Or maybe install AMDGPU-PRO and do some compute benchmarks, where Vega is blowing away the very best from Nvidia...
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 12 November 2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X