X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc.2377 View Post
    The obvious follow-up question would be why is that, but I can guess the answer.
    It's a lot of work and no one has written the code.

So a more practical question is: Will GCN 1.0 still work with the amdgpu kernel driver once DC is pulled upstream?
    Yes. it will just use the non-DC display code.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    So a more practical question is: Will GCN 1.0 still work with the amdgpu kernel driver once DC is pulled upstream?
    DC is a separate option, so yes.

Leave a comment:

• Marc.2377
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    It's not actually "atomic mode-setting for GCN 1.1 and later", it's that the DAL/DC code only supports GCN 1.1 and later period.
    I see.

The obvious follow-up question would be why is that, but I can guess the answer.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    It's not actually "atomic mode-setting for GCN 1.1 and later", it's that the DAL/DC code only supports GCN 1.1 and later period.

Leave a comment:

• Marc.2377
    replied
    atomic mode-setting for GCN 1.1 and later
    Very curious, why not for GCN 1.0? Anyone knows?

Leave a comment:

• pcxmac
    replied
    is there something like a patreon account for all the people pushing working on this code? or are they handsomely rewarded already? I think these guys could get a lot of support, financially if it was the case.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by airlied View Post
    so should I merge it or not?
    So … will you?

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Polaris gets all sorts of bits fixed with each improvement to the DC code and the libdrm progress. Vega and Raven Ridge are first priority because they are the most recently released products [soon-to-be in Raven's part], which are both Vega based solutions. Basic Polaris support is already working as is evident by us Polaris RX 480 users typing in this forum via our displays. Basic support. Large Page support and more is coming and has been extended well beyond Vega [GFX 9] for mainline kernel support. All internal architectural changes and extended capabilities currently useless but part of the Polaris hardware are slowly being added.

UItimately, for some of us an actual OpenCL stack in mainline kernel that works so Blender, Darktable, GIMP and other commercial projects relying on properly functioning OpenCL w/o AMDGPU Pro driver, in any Linux Distribution is a feature still being worked on.

Having an OpenCL 2.x capable RX 480 being knee capped at OpenCL 1.1 is not ``fully functional'' in any sense of the definition. Having a broken 1.2 implementation with all sorts of bugs in AMDGPU Pro via ROCm is also not a fully functional solution. If AMD bet on Compute they sure as hell better be ready. So far, they aren't.

Just today: HEVC gets base encoding on UVD 6.3 within AMD DRM on Patchwork.freedesktop.org.

Read the patch from the link. Clearly, a lot was missing.
    Add UVD encode write/read/size/base registers definition for uvd6.3 HEVC ecoding
    Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 02 October 2017, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• donbastiano
    replied
    I haven't understood what said about Polaris, I think I'll buy a RX 480 in the next days and I would like to try the Freesync. Is it working with the open source driver? Only on DP or also on HDMI? I have to buy also a monitor and one, the Dell S2418H, doesn't have a DP port.

EDIT: to be sure, I choose a monitor with a DP port and a RX 570 (MSI Armor 4GB). At the end, the Dell was not an option, I missed that it's glossy!
    Last edited by donbastiano; 06 October 2017, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dwagner
    replied
    Originally posted by GuercH View Post
    so what do i get on Polaris if i enable this on the future?
    Most importantly from my point of view: Working HDMI 2.0 support (and thus the ability to drive displays via HDMI at 3840x2160 60Hz) and HDMI audio output.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X