threadripper support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• threadripper support

I don't know much about what system setup has best support for a threadripper system, but was curious if anyone had recommendations such as kernel or extra things to look for.

Thanks

are the compile flags going to look different? (optimizations?)

Comment

I'm practically googling every day for individuals who tried Threadripper with Linux but at the moment there are not much information to go on. I'm waiting until Michael gets his hands on them and starts testing. AMD is supposed to give him some samples to test.
      Last edited by godlike_panos; 24 August 2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Supposedly my threadripper(s) were mailed out either yesterday or today.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is my current situation.

My system locks up.

Comment

I got the chance to see a threadripper live today. The size and weight of it is kind of shocking at first. Definitely the biggest chip package I've ever seen. Based on solely on visual impression, I don't think there will ever be any chance these things will ever be mainstream. I think it definitely should have been released as a server product or HPC product first. It would have higher volume than a gamer oriented product and recoup costs faster.

EDIT: Although on second thought there is something important about mindshare..... So maybe AMD is on to something regardless....
            Last edited by duby229; 24 August 2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

The threadripper is an adapted server CPU, as is it's packaging. It is the new packaging for the ultra-high-end desktop and workstation CPUs and Middle-end server CPUs from AMD that was Originally designed for the Ultra-High-End Workstation and Middle-End Workstation market. They released it for the Ultra-High-End desktop market because there was a demand, it functionally games can actually utilize this much processing power. So, unlike Intel, they decided it was profitable to release a desktop tuned version.

They will never be mainstream, and will only really be an elite gaming model item. Something for a small audience that gets a lot of attention. It is much like the nVidia Titan X video card will never be mainstream. Even the nVidia 1080Ti is pushing it.

It is based on the HPC Workstation version of the CPU line which will be available with more cores. I don't know if it will use the same socket or be compatible with Thread-ripper motherboards, but it uses the same internal die design and mount. (Likely different leads are connected due to ECC and Buffered DRAM support in the Workstation version as well as NVRAM DIMM support. This is not to mention different tuning optimizations being made, especially in the power supply circuitry but also likely in interconnect length and electrical properties.)

As of the gamer release. Dethroning Intel as the king of Gaming CPUs has a value in itself. Specifically, it means a much bigger market share across the board. It also paves the way for them to dethrone nVidia as the king of gaming graphics (Currently the early previews of the Vega 64 show the potential to run neck and neck with the 1080Ti, so future versions could win out by using more cores, and more memory stacks using HBM3.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Supposedly my threadripper(s) were mailed out either yesterday or today.
                I was wondering if you could speak to my situation as compared to yours since we both have the same CPU and Motherboard. Not sure if I am just dealing with some older kernel issues or what.

Kubuntu 16.04
                Linux 4.10.0-32-generic #36~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 9 09:19:02 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9492...help-debugging

Comment

Working...
                X