Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days Away From Branching, How Mesa 17.2 RadeonSI Performance Compares To Mesa 17.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Imagine how much faster progress would be if those pesky DC/DAL patches weren't in the way.
    those pesky patches are for kernel, while mesa is userspace
    Last edited by pal666; 17 July 2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
      Zero increment in Bioshock. AMD RX 460
      maybe with your card it is not cpu bound

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        i hope we could get this performance improvements on intel too
        glthread works for intel, but i doubt intel will be cpu bound

Comment

I'm sorry, but I happen to be a grown man who doesn't play video games. Wake me when the OpenCL stack crap is finally 1.2 or newer and not requiring a custom AMD Kernel to hook into to work. FPS is a wet dream for too many grown ups. Find a profession that isn't fantasizing about being a sniper, a race car driver, or some alien on another planet to burn your life force away.

Create something. Anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            I'm sorry, but I happen to be a grown man who doesn't play video games. Wake me when the OpenCL stack crap is finally 1.2 or newer and not requiring a custom AMD Kernel to hook into to work. FPS is a wet dream for too many grown ups. Find a profession that isn't fantasizing about being a sniper, a race car driver, or some alien on another planet to burn your life force away.

Yeah. Now get out of my lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
              Now if the RadeonSI developers could manage the R9_290 not to get too hot and crash we have a winner.
              Your default fan profile for the GPU is not aggressive enough. I have encountered this before, look into using radeon-profile app on github, its coming along nicely.

As for OpenCL 2.0, believe it or not you can hack the pro drivers opencl components into the open-source driver. There are instructions and forum posts about it online, please don't ask me.
              Last edited by theriddick; 18 July 2017, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Your default fan profile for the GPU is not aggressive enough. I have encountered this before, look into using amdgpu-profile app on github, its coming along nicely.
                its name is radeon-profile NOT amdgpu-profile

Comment

And you seem to think we want to read your BS drivel on a thread about gaming performance. What a troll..

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    They can't do anything about the heat, that's just the nature of the product. I'm guessing you are using the reference cooler? My 290 rarely exceeds 70C, which is low for an air-cooled ~275W GPU. Your temps are likely related to the crashing. As a tip - many AMD GPUs supply more voltage than they really need. You could try editing the GPU BIOS and lower the voltage by 0.05v, maybe even 0.1v, which will substantially help your temps.

The 290 is roughly on-par with the 480, better in some ways, worse in others. Your GPU must be seriously throttling its performance if yours is half as fast as a 480.

EDIT:
                    Also, your PSU could be the problem. Usually a high-wattage card + insufficient power = instability. Keep in mind PSU wattage isn't divided evenly. For example, I have tested my 290 on a 500W unit on an under-volted Athlon II. Using a watt meter, the PC immediately powered off once the GPU pushed the wattage to roughly 300W. Despite being a safe distance away from the 500W rating, the PSU failed.
                    PSU is not a problem, brand new 700w Corsair.

The card gets really hot, that is true, however in Windows it never crashes nor get too hot, also from Windows I can tweak the card to run at half throttle and get 60fps+ on most games, on full throttle I get 200pfs+ on many games. I do not care about Windows, as long as I get 30fps and can play on Linux without crashing BTW.

In Linux unless I run the card on the lower profile the card will get hot and crash in a matter of 20-30 minutes (running games this is, desktop/multimedia is 100% fine), as there is no effective tweaking from the OS other than attaching a second monitor that makes the RAM run at a higher clock speed (Yes DRM bug it seems) I have to run most games at 25fps. However with latest mesa I have noticed that some games (Specially Borderlands 2/Pre) now run much much better and the card doesn't get as hot.

I would love if besides improving Mesa there was some kind of way we could tweak the cards in Linux, as I'm sure I can make the card run fine if that was the case.

Comment

Wow, Mesa 17.2 will be very exciting for AMD graphic cards!
                      Pretty much any Mesa release from the past couple of years has been exciting, thanks to the great work of everyone involved. Though I'd be even more excited if AMD finally decided to open-source their Vulkan driver, as promised...

Find a profession that isn't fantasizing about being a sniper, a race car driver, or some alien on another planet to burn your life force away.
                      Do you ever read books, watch movies, go out for a walk, anything like that? If so, you have no right to complain. If not... well, please acknowledge that some people want to have fun in their lives.

I thought we were past the whole "gamers are useless ovwerweight idiots who run amok in schools" thing...
                      Last edited by VikingGe; 18 July 2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X