ATI Catalyst 8.10 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys one question...
    You the ones with ubuntu do you use the driver from Canonical??

Comment

I had to, generating packages from the ati installer was 100% fail and I never trust the installer's automatic methodology. I have had a few problems now with frequent crashes... Sucks cuz compiz really does work way better, and OpenGL is just plain faster.

I think this may be a setup related issue though, I did an install with a home directory from 8.04.1 32bit, to 8.10b amd64 and there was a lot of things wrong from just configuration. I'm trying to sort it all out and remove any configurations that may be problematic.

Oh, BTW I had 0 problems whatsoever just upgrading from the 8.9 driver to 8.10 before I upgraded ubuntu from 8.04.1.
      Last edited by Methylene; 20 October 2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

thanks ati, now I have a direct crash at X server start
        thanks for make me going back to windows
        it's been 4 years I use Linux only, and since I have an this hd4850 I am forced to use windows

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
          Hey guys one question...
          You the ones with ubuntu do you use the driver from Canonical??
          Yes. It mostly works for me, but when I log out from X and try to get back to a text console (I don't use gdm) the X server hangs and the console is stuck with multicolored text-mode hash all over it.

I can ssh in from another machine and see that the X server is running full bore, 100% CPU and uninterruptable. kill -9 doesn't affect it, and ptrace can't attach to it so gdb/gcore don't work either. Quite annoying; it also prevents a clean shutdown so I wind up having to do a hard reset.

I tried xine xxmc and when it didn't just hang on me, it would display the top left corner of a video, stretched out about 8x normal size. The rest of the video frame would be lost/truncated. totem-xine would hang a lot too, but sometimes it would work, and then it appeared to be pretty decent. Playing a 1280x720 x264 movie, I'd see CPU usage around 65% and the processor stayed at it's lowest clock speed most of the time (500MHz.) There'd be occasional jumps to 1.1GHz and 2.1GHz, but most of the time it stayed at 500Mhz and temperatures stayed pretty cool. With vlc, the same video would peg a CPU core at 90-100% and the speed would stay at 2.1GHz.

Comment

I saw a couple of changes in blender: the good point: opengl dotted lines are back, and rendered at decent speed. the bad point: opengl texts, that were rendering very slowly but at least they were rendering correctly, now present quite a lot of artifacts (disappearing, changing size, etc).

Comment

The Release Notes for 8.10 are online now. Not that there's anything interesting about them.

I don't think "Quickly moving a X video window no longer results in occasional corruption being left behind on the desktop on Radeon X1000 series hardware or later." belongs under Known Issues though. Unless AMD now considers fixed bus an issue? Which would actually explain a lot.

Anyway, why is it that only such old versions of glibc as 2.2 and 2.3 are supported? The oldest glibc in Gentoo Portage that is not masked by the default 2008.0 amd64 profile is 2.4 while the newest 'stable' one is 2.6.1, which seems to be what Ubuntu is using.

Comment

For me the 8.10 (downloaded from AMD website) is one of the worst drivers in a while. I tried to install it on my AMD780g integrated graphics with an AMD3450 graphics card. But the only thing I got was a blank screen, no possible way to start X and I also couldn't get into a command line using Ctrl-Alt-Fn.

So I went back to the 8.9 driver, which also has some issues for me, but at least it gives me an image on my screen.

[edit]Small typo, I meant that I could not get into a command line. My problem is the as the one Mirak63 has, it crashes the computer completely.[/edit]
                Last edited by Heiko; 22 October 2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
                  For me the 8.10 (downloaded from AMD website) is one of the worst drivers in a while. I tried to install it on my AMD780g integrated graphics with an AMD3450 graphics card. But the only thing I got was a blank screen, no possible way to start X and I also could get into a command line using Ctrl-Alt-Fn.

So I went back to the 8.9 driver, which also has some issues for me, but at least it gives me an image on my screen.

for me it totally cash the computer at X start
                  so I can't even know what's wrong or debug at all

However I don't understand how can Linux kernel let a video driver crash everything.

So here I can't not blame Linux as well as ATI.

Comment

The fglrx KERNEL module can crash...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      The fglrx KERNEL module can crash...
                      bringing the operating system down with him
                      that's not normal
                      it's a conception flaw
                      of both

Comment

Working...
                      X