Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Posts Initial Patches For Raven APU Support: 117 Patches, 314k L.O.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts Initial Patches For Raven APU Support: 117 Patches, 314k L.O.C.

Phoronix: AMD Posts Initial Patches For Raven APU Support: 117 Patches, 314k L.O.C.

Alex Deucher of AMD has posted the initial AMDGPU DRM/KMS kernel driver patches for bringing up graphics on the next-generation "Raven" APUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great. I'm ready to jump on AM4 APUs if they support ECC like the other AM4 processors released so far.

The vast majority of the new code though (almost 200k LOC) is in the form of header files for the registers.
    Inb4 some noob complains about kernel bloat.

Comment

Amd should release ryzen apu with 4core 8threads + rx 550 class gpu for 200usd, so you could play esport games 1080p@60 fps
      This would eliminate all intel apu for light gamin and also need for cheapest nvidias

AMD needs bigger market share. This is good cor consumer and development

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
        Amd should release ryzen apu with 4core 8threads + rx 550 class gpu for 200usd, so you could play esport games 1080p@60 fps
        This would eliminate all intel apu for light gamin and also need for cheapest nvidias
        I don't think this is possible at any price due to thermal limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          well, there is leak of amd apu with 11/8 of 550 and 4/8 cores

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            well, there is leak of amd apu with 11/8 of 550 and 4/8 cores
            Hmmm, there is also Project Scorpio from MS (another console said to aim for 4k) that seems to use a similar design from AMD, but they have badass cooling.

Still kinda skeptical that something that powerful can be done on a desktop APU. I sure would love it.

Comment

I really wonder, can the hardware people not make things more compatible? Does it really need to be so much bloat and possible duplication? :-/

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                I really wonder, can the hardware people not make things more compatible? Does it really need to be so much bloat and possible duplication? :-/
                Noob spotted! (see my post above)

Comment

It all depends upon how the APU's are engineered. I86 cores these days are fairly low power, it is the things around them that burn up the watts such as the cache. Lets say AMD implements an APU with HBM in package. doing so they can reduce the size of the cache without killing performance significantly allowing for more power to be delivered to the GPU subsection. HBM would drive performance as all APU type chips are bandwidth limited to RAM. I'm not saying the balance will be perfect, as some apps will be impacted by smaller caches that HBM can't make up for, but overall it should be a big win.

By the way I'm talking about a 65 watt and more chips for the desktop market here. You would obviously have problems getting this sort of performance in a 35 or 25 watt laptop chip. In any event the key to getting this sort of thing to work is HBM as that solve the bandwidth problem that has always crippled APU chips. basically you add 35 watts of GPU to 30 watts of CPU performance to drive at a highly integrated chip.

By the way I see the day when there will be no external RAM bus at all. HBM will handle all RAM needs, be in package and very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
                    Amd should release ryzen apu with 4core 8threads + rx 550 class gpu for 200usd
                    this is actually what they are gonna release with Raven Ridge. However the price might be higher.

No

Comment

Working...
                    X