No announcement yet.

AMDGPU(-PRO) vs. NVidia for high-performance AAA-Gaming - now and near future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU(-PRO) vs. NVidia for high-performance AAA-Gaming - now and near future

Hi Phoronix forum readers,

I believe here I may find the most people with opinions to the question in the title =).

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my GPU and my monitor. Currently I'm using NVidia, and have been for years because of bad AMD drivers (in terms of GPU performance). I'm interested veering into 60Hz+, G-Sync or Freesync realm, even with some of the odd AAA titles that will and have been released on Linux. Perhaps even on Ultrawide, but because of productivity, I need to go over 1080p (either 16:9 or 21:9). Scaling up from 1080 does not seem sensible (and I do not want to buy two monitors, at least not because of bad drivers).

I've read about AMDGPU(-PRO) drivers just recently (didn't even know they exist!) and it seems they are developing rapidly. Also the small amount of good quality G-Sync vs. Freesync monitors on the market, in addition to the latter being a lot cheaper, makes me seriously consider to switch into an AMD GPU. Also I like AMDs more FOSS -friendly driver approach (and non-patent-encumbered adaptive sync support).

The bottom line: what is the current state of AMDGPU(-PRO) drivers? Are they usable for high-performance gaming on Linux? Or, if I want 100Hz (or more), 1440p, is NVidia and gtx1070+ the only way to go? Is this even achievable on NVidia at the moment on Linux (currently I've been 1080p@60Hz, without a hitch, on a GTX970)?

If the AMDGPU(-PRO) can't cut the cake and feed it to me too at the moment, do you have any opinions / guesses what will happen to the drivers in the near future (during the next year)?

I will be using a bleeding-edge distribution, can compile from source and fix the installation when it breaks! Actually I believe I would be a prime beta-tester for graphics driver developers ;-)

TL;DR: Can the AMDGPU(-PRO) diver satisfy the needs of a demanding (AAA, >1080p, 100Hz+) Linux gamer?

debianxfce,

Yes, I have. For example this one:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And it is partly because of these tests, I think this question might interest other users here, too! I couldn't find a relavent discussion about it.

It seems that according to the above tests, for some games it might be usable. However there are no 1440p tests (only 2160 and 1080), and if I'll be going Ultrawide, 1440p is the maximum for a little while (because there are no monitors that support greater refresh rates).

Also, there is no mention about Freesync (I really can't stand tearing, so it is either V-Sync, G-Sync or Freesync).

Comment

AMDGPU-PRO is usually shipped with dkms for the kernel module - would work with an older kernel too. Does not matter if you combine it with mesa or AMDGPU-PRO.

Comment

Linux gamers just use Nvidia gfx cards and do not require any rolling release.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Kernel version is 4.11 now, so they are using old and buggy kernels.
          Fuck off Per you all kernels from kernel.org are old and buggy

Fuck off again and fuck off forever
          Last edited by dungeon; 29 March 2017, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Nvidia if you want performance (AMD is rapidly improving but still behind)

AMDGPU+Mesa if you want to be able to update your system without Nvidia's permission (yes I'm also complaining about Nvidia driver - kernel issues, because I have actually needed kernel updates to fix other issues in machines, which I was not able to run because I had Nvidia cards and Nvidia can be quite slow about supporting new kernels).

AMD if you want to use IOMMU to pass thru to a Windows virtual machine, because Nvidia, years ago, purposely broke support for that in their drivers, then claimed it was unsupported, even though people already had it working. Nvidia blocked it in drivers to convince us to buy their "professional" cards. Most gamers don't care about this, but another boo against Nvidia.

For me AMD is the choice but for you Nvidia could be better.
            Last edited by Holograph; 30 March 2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for your input / opinions.

Currently I feel like I'm going to wait a little while - perhaps until Vega is released - before I upgrade my gear. This is because I have little time for gaming in the next month or two (or three!) in any case.

I can use the time to see where the AMDGPU driver is going, and then decide if to upgrade =)

I don't mind if there is a performance gap (compared to Windows performance), if the driver development gives the impression the gap is closing in! If performance/€ on AMD@Linux is close to performance/€ on NVidia@Linux, I will make the switch.

Comment

Working...
              X