No announcement yet.

Please Help RX480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to get paulo-miguel-dias/mesa and did my update but the screen is still not 1080 am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You are missing: a rolling release os, latest kernel and firmware. To use the open source driver, use a rolling release distribution, mesa master git and a latest custom kernel from kernel.org or from https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...-next-4.12-wip. See:
      https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
      themixturemedia Ignore this guy, he doesn't know anything else.

Comment

Guys, take it easy. No reason to get personal.

I'm not currently using an AMD GPU on Linux, but it is time to upgrade - hence I've been doing some research about the current state of AMD on Linux (my last experiences were from fgrlx days, which were quite terrible). From what I've red, the AMDGPU(-PRO) drivers have taken big improvements lately, but haven't matured yet, and are constantly developed. You need to be on the bleeding edge to reap all the benefits, but still be prepared for breakage.

Which means, debianxfce is right. A rolling release -distro will make achieving this more easy; however a rolling release distro is not for Linux novices.

The alternative is to get a more stable, more user-friendly distro. If you are not comfortable with hacking your Linux installation, then your best bet is to wait (3-12 months, not actually sure how long it takes currently) untill the upgrades propagate downstream, or use a PPA (on Ubuntu) - which may or may not be up-to-date, may stil break things, and gives less control than a rolling-release distribution.

Comment

While I mostly agree with you, on some points I don't. I'm currently on Manjaro, and it does frequently break. It is more bleeding edge than, say Mint Linux was, but that didn't regularly break (I still prefer Manjaro currently over Mint for my personal usage). I don't mind the (albeit mild) breakage, since I can fix it, but someone less computer literate, might not be able to fix things. On my other, more desktop/HTPC oriented setup I currently use Arch, and used to use Gentoo (for years). Neither of them can be recommended for novices. I'm not experienced of other rolling release distros, but I believe the nature of bleeding edge is: it will break. That's why it's called bleeding edge!

But I wouldn't categorically shay novices away from rolling release distributions... if one is willing to learn and invest some time to setup the system, can read Wikis and other documentation, and use Google, it might suit a novice. And after a while he / she will no longer be a novice ;-) The learning curve can be too much for some.

Also, I wouldn't say compiling a kernel is for everyday user. Although not rocket science, it can be too daunting a task for some (for example, even using a command seems like rocket science for some users). Also I believe you are somewhat exaggerating the usefulness of compiling a custom kernel. I'd recommend it for example in following cases: 1) one wants to tinker with the system or 2) one has something that is not supported by the stock kernel in the distribution.

Comment

Working...
          X