Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to undervolt a Polaris GPU without patching the kernel driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my experience with PolarisBiosEditor, the voltage values in the VBIOS table are not taken into account. Perhaps the tool is not working correctly, or perhaps the kernel driver is not taking it into account.

Comment

then that leaves writing to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_table - but what? I have no idea what it must look like. And I'm not about to tinker with it with no idea what effect it could have.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
        then that leaves writing to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_table - but what? I have no idea what it must look like. And I'm not about to tinker with it with no idea what effect it could have.
        Sounds like you should leave it alone then.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Sounds like you should leave it alone then.
          Which sucks, because I know for a fact I can undervolt that card by 0.015V (keeping it quite a bit cooler, thus reducing both noise and throttling) and under Linux, I can't do that. AFAIK, all owners of reference RX480 can do the same as mine is one of the very first models (I bought it last August before the first batches ran out of stock)
          Last edited by mitch074; 10 May 2017, 04:06 AM. Reason: forgot an 0 in voltage

Comment

Working...
          X