Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slimmed down code base. Always nice to have

Comment

It would actually be nice with an overview of the total patch size progression over time I'm the next status update. But what would be even more interesting, is a status of how any of the original feedback/pain points have been adressed so far.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Warning, wccftech is nicknamed "bstech" for a reason.
        What they post is unreliable at best, bullshit on average.
        agreed, but the leak is valid.

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Does have the same features than Windows drivers? I doubt it!
        You can download the full slide deck (86 slides, not linking it here). There are a few words about Linux and ROCm, too.

amdgpu-pro for all GCN dGPUs (so back to HD7000 series), including freesync, finally \o/
        Now, for the free stack

Windows users also get VP9 decoding (I don't think we have this in vdpau yet), WattMan for older cards, more features and bugfixes, of course.

NDA ends Thursday at 9 AM EST.
        Last edited by juno; 06 December 2016, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          Bridgman do you see what we see?...
          Opensource in fact means in the practice that opensource is more efficent per line of code for the same feature set. Closed source only collect garbage to increase the lines of code.
          Now we have Real numbers of closed source style code and opensource style code in reality.
          And bridgman's argument against opensource was: Opensource is not more slim by definition of "opensource" alone only if someone rewrites the code to make it slim... but in fact in the practice opensource code is always rewritten ALWAYS! because of this in practice we can conclude: Opensource=slim
          No it doesn't. It means a lot of the code built into the kernel and device driver set can be reused across the platform. Same with OS X. Most of that ``special code'' was edge cases dealing with a long list of Windows releases.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            amdgpu-pro for all GCN dGPUs (so back to HD7000 series), including freesync, finally \o/
            He, he i let Michael to spot that... he can write article earlier

FreeSync profiles for Linux i spotted in september drivers for Windows, so that should be advertised 3 months back then if we really wanna very early news everywhere

Comment

Marc Driftmeyer yeah and as a side effect of this enforced refactoring, the Windows drivers are slimmed, too. so win-win for AMD

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              FreeSync profiles for Linux i spotted in september drivers for Windows
              what do you mean with "FreeSync profiles"?
              Also, we knew it was coming eventually, since they first dropped DAL patches and announced it.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                what do you mean with "FreeSync profiles"?
                Like any other profiles that come with blob... it is disabled for all compositors, let me find it if you want... yeah, as of 16.9.2 FS setup leaked

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-16-9-2-driver-download.html

Comment

What they, AMD, need to do at this stage is squash the DAL/DC/whatever patch series down so that we can actually digest what it has become now.

I am glad they are now developing it in public which is a good step forward. However the time has come now to pack down the series into another branch DC-next or something so that it can become comprehensible in its new modern form.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

No it doesn't. It means a lot of the code built into the kernel and device driver set can be reused across the platform. Same with OS X. Most of that ``special code'' was edge cases dealing with a long list of Windows releases.
                    When DAL was first announced it was explained here that a large portion of that code was just glue. In fact it was written in blocks by various teams and then glued together by various teams. I was under the impression myself that most of the code was just layers of abstraction that came as a result of the fact that nobody really worked together on it. Each part was coded individually and then abstracted together.

This is probably the most attention that code has ever received, including if we count the original development.

Comment

I'm excited :-)
                      2017 I'll get a FreeSync monitor - hopefully with DP1.3 or 1.4.

Comment

Working...
                      X