Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX 480 black screen + fan spinning at max [ Kernel 4.4+amdgpu-pro - 4.7 - 4.8 - 4.9 ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonny View Post
    Hey,

I just bought an RX 480 to support AMD and thinking it would be plug and play but I get the same issue on Arch Linux. I tried with mesa-git but same.
    The only way I could make it work was on Ubuntu 16.04.2.

I got the Sapphire 11260-13-20G, do you have the same card?
    I think that your card is the RX480 NITRO 4GB, mine is RX480 NITRO+ 4GB (11260-02-20G).
    Interesting that they are both 4GB.

Let me know if you find a fix.

Or a way to get some useful log.
    Last edited by sgaragagghu; 06 March 2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonny View Post
      Hey,

I just bought an RX 480 to support AMD and thinking it would be plug and play but I get the same issue on Arch Linux. I tried with mesa-git but same.
      The only way I could make it work was on Ubuntu 16.04.2.
      Are you sure you have the same issue? If the system doesn't boot due to a kernel problem, then mesa is the last thing you should touch.

Comment

Okay I'm puzzled.

I installed a fresh Arch Linux on an other drive and it works fine there; with the same kernel.

Comment

SOLVED
          The card was plugged in the PCIe x4 instead of PCIex16. Now it works.
          Anyway it's strange that it was working well in windows with PCIe x4.
          Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Who did build your pc...Historically the main gpu slot is the one that is closest to the cpu. Amd win virus hoover driver does support crossfire and the Linux driver does not. Maybe that is the reason why it works in PCIe x4 slot.
            GPU should work in literally any PCI-E slot, even x1 slots, if you can fit it on (open back slot or whatever).

If not, your motherboard/BIOS suck, or there are driver bugs. Period.

It's unacceptable when PC hardware manufacturers do not follow standards. Like how Asus has released tons of boards that didn't support stuff like RAID cards. Shouldn't be legally considered PCI-E compatible if it's not... compatible with PCI-E cards.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

There is no sense to put a gpu card to slower slots.
              Most of the time, no, but it makes sense for several situations. Such as SLI/CF (not x1 for this, but x8 yes, x4 yes), virtualization/IOMMU passthru, or GPGPU type stuff. Or even PCI-E bifurcation (which on a consumer system would generally need an active switch) for those looking to use consumer hardware as a serious storage server (with a bunch of RAID cards and/or NVMe SSDs) or something like that. PCI-E is a standard and while not all manufacturers seem to realize that, it is an actual problem any time any PCI-E device doesn't work in a PCI-E slot.

Comment

Working...
              X