Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX 480 black screen + fan spinning at max [ Kernel 4.4+amdgpu-pro - 4.7 - 4.8 - 4.9 ]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX 480 black screen + fan spinning at max [ Kernel 4.4+amdgpu-pro - 4.7 - 4.8 - 4.9 ]

Has someone this issue? I don't know what to do... it's very strange... now i'm stuck with Ubuntu 16.04 without any driver :/
    I hope to not be the only one with this issue...!

(Ubuntu)

Comment

You mention a lot of kernel versions in your subject line - did you try installing amdgpu-pro on top of a clean Ubuntu 16.04 install, or only after updating the kernel ? The amdgpu-pro install package is intended for use with Ubuntu 16.04 and stock kernel.

There are two easy options that should work - clean Ubuntu 16.04 install with stock kernel, or install Ubuntu 16.10 (or any other similarly new distro release) and use the newer open source drivers included in the distro.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        You mention a lot of kernel versions in your subject line - did you try installing amdgpu-pro on top of a clean Ubuntu 16.04 install, or only after updating the kernel ? The amdgpu-pro install package is intended for use with Ubuntu 16.04 and stock kernel.

There are two easy options that should work - clean Ubuntu 16.04 install with stock kernel, or install Ubuntu 16.10 (or any other similarly new distro release) and use the newer open source drivers included in the distro.
        Hi, thank you for the answer.
        I installed amdgpu-pro on Ubuntu 16.04 (updated), then i tried with other kernels on top of Ubuntu 16.04. So i tried ubuntu 16.10 but nothing... same issue.
        It's very strange... I don't know what can I try to do.

Comment

So on my computer both amdgpu and amdgpu-pro don't work

Comment

Originally posted by sgaragagghu View Post
            Hi, thank you for the answer. I installed amdgpu-pro on Ubuntu 16.04 (updated), then i tried with other kernels on top of Ubuntu 16.04. So i tried ubuntu 16.10 but nothing... same issue. It's very strange... I don't know what can I try to do.
            Was 16.10 a clean install or an upgrade ?

Are you saying you got a black screen when running 16.10 as-installed ? That sounds really odd. Does the VBIOS POSt screen come up OK ?

How is your display connected and what is the native res ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Was 16.10 a clean install or an upgrade ?

Are you saying you got a black screen when running 16.10 as-installed ? That sounds really odd. Does the VBIOS POSt screen come up OK ?

How is your display connected and what is the native res ?
              Yep... 16.10 without any modification doesn't boot! My monitor is normal 1920x1080 and i use DVI.

Comment

OK, that's really wierd. Does the VBIOS splash screen etc... come up or no display at all ?

I imagine you would have mentioned, but are you using a KVM switch or anything ?
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by sgaragagghu View Post

Yep... 16.10 without any modification doesn't boot! My monitor is normal 1920x1080 and i use DVI.
                  To me it sounds like the card is busted... I hope you got warranty and can return it...

Comment

It works good on windows. I think my computer configuration is very unlucky.
                    I'm trying to get the log of the boot but I can't see it in /var/log/kern.log (I can see logs about Kernel 4.4 without amdgpu-pro (so when i can boot normally))
                    I think that the kernels 4.7-8 crash too early to write something on that file?

Comment

Working...
                    X