X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s/wander/wonder/

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      i wonder which relative impact on fps could have each of faster compiler, background theads compiler and shader cache
      instead of an fps increase, I think this will impact more on a smoother experience, with less freeze time when a new shader need to be compiled

Comment

i wander which relative impact on fps could have each of faster compiler, background theads compiler and shader cache
        All those features save some CPU time, saving any CPU time anywhere has positive impact everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

All those features save some CPU time, saving any CPU time anywhere has positive impact everywhere
          sure, but you can save one percent of time or one hundred

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post
            instead of an fps increase, I think this will impact more on a smoother experience, with less freeze time when a new shader need to be compiled
            what other thing could have most impact on fps then?

Comment

sure, but you can save one percent of time or one hundred
              That is how nvidia is fastest driver, they are very fast on the CPU side... so clever CPU render managment is all the magic.

Everybody expected evolution and 10 GHz single core CPUs to appear, so you can say "who cares about that, my next CPU with eat all that"... but as we know that does not happened, so saving CPU time is highest priority if you want render performance

Even with Vulkan, see Dota that is again CPU bound too just less

Comment

so it looks like most promising is multithreading, but not only for shader compiler

Comment

in other words let marek do it for 17.0

Comment

There was some unsuccessful Intel's patches back from 2012. ... but it is never late to try to do that again, even 5 year later

Comment

Originally posted by helland View Post
                      It is important to note that this will not manifest itself in 25% faster compilation times for radeonsi. This test is done without any backend compiler. It's only the glsl compiler compiling, and then the result is dropped on the floor. For radeonsi it will have to be handed over to LLVM for compiling to bytecode for the graphics card. The benefit will therefore be lower. The article did not really point this out all that well.
                      I can see how it could have an outsize positive effect on latency for frames with shader compiles. The shader compiler needs to validate the shader synchronously when the application calls glCompileShader; however the driver does not need to do final codegen at that point, and in fact it may need to defer it anyway. Also, having less code invoked through glCompileShader should improve cache locality for a hot loop of shader compiles.

Then again, could turn out not to work that way, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                      X