Some Fresh Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev OpenGL Benchmarks For Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    I switched to the AMDGPU kernel driver from radeon kernel driver for my R9 390, and games work really well now. Played Metro 2033 redux this morning, which used to perform much slower earlier.
    I guess soon Michael would get yet another fancy option to test: AMDGPU vs Radeon on GCNs . Actually it sounds its about time already, so if Michael could afford that... well, seems it could be interesting comparison.

Comment

Radeon vs amdgpu is boring, involve just two gens I would be more interested to see amdgpu-pro (once new is released) vs agdf5's staging branch

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Does changing video settings work from within the game menu?
        It ALWAYS worked, it just takes forever. That is on all drivers AMD, NVIDIA, or Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Radeon vs amdgpu is boring, involve just two gens I would be more interested to see amdgpu-pro (once new is released) vs agdf5's staging branch
          But Michael as ubuntero will probably do default ubuntu vs current kernel mainline + umd ppa... and of course with not recommended modesetting

Comment

From my experience running current staging on amdgpu it is incredibly fast rendering phoronix site, it feels like Michael much improved his server in last minutes, but nope i just changed driver

Comment

Hm, or i didn't compiled aes last time ... it more looks like that, aes can be just like that - night and day

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

That doesn't sound right... I believe that is the "upstream staging" tree which does not have all the commits from the hybrid driver. The DKMS package comes from a separate hybrid driver tree AFAIK.
                Really? Isn't it GPL? Shouldn't the source be available?
                It seemed like the driver was just a snapshot of the staging when I was playing around with it, hence the confusion on my end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                  Source is available, it comes with every driver . Download driver from amd site... it is inside amdgpu-pro-dkms_xx.xx.x-xxxxxx_all.deb package.

It is based upon some staging, but might and likely contain additional patches... so basically it is not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                    It seemed like the driver was just a snapshot of the staging when I was playing around with it, hence the confusion on my end.
                    As dungeon said, we only release in source code form (DKMS package)... what we are not doing yet is pushing the hybrid kernel driver development tree out in real time between releases.

AFAIK the main issue is that hybrid drivers go through fairly long QA cycles before release, so code for new HW often has to get merged into hybrid trees before we have approval for public release. That said, the hybrid staging tree is regularly rebased onto the all-open staging tree (every week or so IIRC) so changes not related to new HW generally show up first in the all-open staging tree (which we do push to public) anyways.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 22 September 2016, 05:03 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

As dungeon said, we only release in source code form (DKMS package)... what we are not doing yet is pushing the hybrid kernel driver development tree out in real time between releases.

AFAIK the main issue is that hybrid drivers go through fairly long QA cycles before release, so code for new HW often has to get merged into hybrid trees before we have approval for public release. That said, the hybrid staging tree is regularly rebased onto the all-open staging tree (every week or so IIRC) so changes not related to new HW generally show up first in the all-open staging tree (which we do push to public) anyways.
                      Ah I gotcha, I misinterpreted the whole process, but that makes a lot more sense in hindsight. I think I need to stop typing before assuming things

Comment

Working...
                      X