Linux+Mesa Git Remains Problematic For Some Regressed R9 290 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    agd5f, in the bug report it was already bisected, but the fault was not in the Kernel. It only exposed a new feature that mesa has trouble making it work for the R9 290.
    Presumably you had a completely different bug than that bisection found, since that one should have already been fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      agd5f, in the bug report it was already bisected, but the fault was not in the Kernel. It only exposed a new feature that mesa has trouble making it work for the R9 290.
      The regression related to the bisect in that bug is now fixed. However some people are still experiencing issues so there is a chance there is a different commit that caused the regression the people still experiencing the bug are seeing. I bisect would verify what commit (the same or different) is causing the issue people are still experiencing.

Comment

Michael, when R7 260X was fixed or those are some kind of oldish results? That was utter slowmo too here:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

With my r7 250x on debian testing, after new update 5-6 packages of mesa glx 12.0.2-1, performance down 5%+-, and in game, game freeze.
          I have found how delete freeze and use maximum of card, but performance -5% not changed:
          echo profile > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
          echo "high" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

Comment

In my case R9 290 (Saphire) the patches make no difference.

The game I always test with is Borderlands the pre-sequel, there is no way I can get more than 27-28fps with Mesa, in fact no "AAA" game runs faster than that on this card with Mesa, the funny thing is that I have an old r600 that gives me the same performance and barelly stalls, whereas the R9 290 stalls all the time an effect appears the first time.

Same computer with Windows 7 120fps with no drops.

I do not need 120fps, however 27ish is kind of shit :-(

The thing that I find more puzzling is why the resolution change does not affect the speed, whatever screen resolution I use always runs at the same fps. 800x600 or 1920x1080 makes no difference with Mesa.

Comment

Forgot to add, Same with the anti-aliasing, wheter it is on or off, makes no difference to the frame-rate.

Comment

You can push me all you want, I'm still not developing mesa.

But I'm curious, what certain types of source code changes do you have in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  In my case R9 290 (Saphire) the patches make no difference.

The game I always test with is Borderlands the pre-sequel, there is no way I can get more than 27-28fps with Mesa, in fact no "AAA" game runs faster than that on this card with Mesa, the funny thing is that I have an old r600 that gives me the same performance and barelly stalls, whereas the R9 290 stalls all the time an effect appears the first time.

Same computer with Windows 7 120fps with no drops.

I do not need 120fps, however 27ish is kind of shit :-(

The thing that I find more puzzling is why the resolution change does not affect the speed, whatever screen resolution I use always runs at the same fps. 800x600 or 1920x1080 makes no difference with Mesa.
                  For stalls disk shader cache generally is needed also Borderlands games are known heavy CPU bound especially those linux ports.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    It's too complicated to describe it in a forum post.
                    Why is complicated... mesa drivers generally lack disk shader cache and threaded GL optimizations env/profiles, like nVidia and AMD blobs have, etc...

But this R9 290 (and I would dare to say GCN 1.1 generally) slowmo is unrelated to that

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                      My R9 390 (GCN 1.1) is running ok, so I am unable to help with the R9 290 issue.
                      That is good info, on what distro?

As this might not be R9 290 nor GCN 1.1 issue at all, but something distro specific, phoronix suite specific, gcc options specific, build system specific, etc... so it might not be bug in a driver which affect everybody on every distro.

Comment

Working...
                      X