Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Linux Radeon Software Performance, Including AMDGPU-PRO & RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When MS WOS is benchmarked I would add WINE results.
    Nvidia drivers are not working with Wayland.
    Does this new AMD work well with Wayland? (even Mutter was a problem before)
    If this new AMD work well with Wayland and Nvidia continue not to, Zen SoCs can make a great deal in Steam boxes and Linux boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

If Zen really turns out to be that good and on par with Intel, expect same prices as Intel.
      Off-topic, but, I'd happily pay "Intel prices" to AMD for the first round of Zen. And "nVidia prices" for the first round of Vega. They need to make some money so they can get back in the game properly.

Comment

It looks to me that Tomb Raider games stress more on performance than any other game (in the benchmarks) so as to being "a pity", not so much to me as I find it's understandable. All in all AMD performance on Linux is even on par with Windows, which is great! Keep up the good work guys!

Comment

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post
          When performance is top priority and source code is hidden from scrutiny I would guess the the amount of bad and hacky code is high. I'm not sure if mesa will ever want to do application/game specific optimizations like that.

It'd be interesting to see benchmarks that bypassed the per application optimizations. But since most of the games on windows with OpenGL support have it as an alternative I can't imagine the drivers would bother to optimize for that.
          Yeah , mesa does not support any env variables, drirc does not exist, radeonsi specific variables does not exist too... everything is clean and run fine Mesa drivers does that too since begining, nVidia too provide you options, variables, workarounds... in AMD blob case, all of that is called profiles.

If you want benchmark without profiles you can disable it, but then remove nVidia variables too and for mesa remove drirc... and then run happily Unigine

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
            Off-topic, but, I'd happily pay "Intel prices" to AMD for the first round of Zen. And "nVidia prices" for the first round of Vega. They need to make some money so they can get back in the game properly.
            I'd happily pay AMD prices for AMD gear =D

They offer seriously good cards a FUCKING price point. The driver's arent't even mature yet (that's my impression, anyway.....I certainaly hope they're not despite how impressive they are).

I'm only to happy to dump 400's in every machine as replacement cards and moderate-gamer machines. My only beef is, bring on the Polaris 11 so I can get my low-end on =D
            Hi

Comment

Oh yeah, nah. Gotta love that non-primo can't-edit-shit feature. Literacy+1. Ah well, I'll just go down in history as a JAFI; Just Another Fucking Idiot =P
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                I wonder if we're close enough to hold out hope for these next two things to happen in like a years time:

1. AMD mesa reaches proprietary Nvidia performance.
                2. Steam boxes with inexpensive AMD Zen APU configurations hit the market.

Seriously, $300 steam boxes with performance that surpasses Xbone/PS4 could make some waves in 2017 if those two events happen.
                This $300 psychological floor is important, a Steambox can be an awesome console IMO.

But this must happen FAST now, Nintendo, Sony and M$ all have a new console incoming. Cmon Valve make it yourself and show them!

Comment

If Zen really turns out to be that good and on par with Intel, expect same prices as Intel.
                  Impossible, Intel will rise prices as necessary to still cost moar.

Comment

This situation appears some years ago with Athlon 64 FX

Another example stay when launched kaveri amd puts models in same prices of core i5, however kaveri dont stay in core i5 level (cpu issue, gpu is different story) and much after them have more reasonable price agreed kaveri performance, in some place close to core i3

Recently with RX 470 appears some similar situation, when RX 470 is announced amd shows 150us for 4gb model a 200us for 8gb but in the end amd up RX 470 4gb model stay around 180us and more and 8gb model around 240us

Back to zen if stay very close to intel products in next year, is possible have prices very close to intel

Another interesting product is which zen model compete to actual intel core i3 (consume/price/performance) ?

Comment

Nice results here for AMD, keep up the good work!

When I had a 390x, that major issue for me was the bugs related to getting certain games working, largely Feral games whom seem to be rather slow at fixing up issues with AMD drivers...

Comment

Working...
                      X