BioShock Infinite Runs Much Faster For RadeonSI On Mesa Git: ~40%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post
    Do the amdgpu-pro or nouveau drivers hit this limit?
    Does noveau even run the game? On what hardware?

Comment

Here's something else: Debian Unstable Padoka ppa mesa. I have a 144Hz monitor and if I turn vsync on in the game then it will go higher than 60-70 fps, it tries to get up but can't 120Hz (drivers can't do 144 but 120Hz is OK, I guess).

Comment

85.50 FPS with RX480? Is the benchmark lighter than gameplay? Because in graphically slightly more demanding areas I definitely do not average at 85FPS, more like 45. https://i.imgur.com/dQN55fY.png

Yes, it's gotten playable but there is still a long way to go, seeing the GTX 970 is almost twice as fast. Also why is the GTX 970 faster than the GTX 980?

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
          ... Also why is the GTX 970 faster than the GTX 980?
          Umm. Because... Phoronix.

Comment

Well done Marek.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
              What do you mean by "Because... Phoronix"?

The reason for Bioshock not scaling with the number of CUDA cores is in Nvidia's drivers. Or is there evidence to the contrary?
              What you mean with "scaling with number of CUDA cores"?
              Are NVIDIA pushing all 3D through CUDA now or I missed something important?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                Seriously?
                I know CUDA runs on the same hardware used also for 3D, but is actually also the driver run as CUDA? It does not make sense.

I think you will have fun decoding another post of mine: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...771#post890771
                I get the gist of it, but I lack the background to go much further than that.

Comment

Thanks for the tests, Michael. Always good to see fresh benchmarks showing such major performance improvements. Marek said in his initial patch that the older hardware is likely to see a bigger improvement from this change than those on AMDGPU. Is there any chance of seeing some numbers for older GCN hardware? Looks like those tested are all VI or newer.

Comment

It looks like that mesa amd drivers are extremely cpu bound, Nvidia seems to manage to get around this issue with this game as you can see some scaling. It would be interesting to see some amd results with slower CPUs.
                    ​​​​​​
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      It looks like that mesa amd drivers are extremely cpu bound, Nvidia seems to manage to get around this issue with this game as you can see some scaling. It would be interesting to see some amd results with slower CPUs.
                      ​​​​​​
                      ​​​​​​
                      Reconstructing and replacing the entire game with your own version (the cheat-y one), you can hardly say they manage.

Comment

Working...
                      X