Deferred Flushes Land For Radeon Gallium3D, Offering Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deferred Flushes Land For Radeon Gallium3D, Offering Better Performance

Phoronix: Deferred Flushes Land For Radeon Gallium3D, Offering Better Performance

The patches written about last week for using unflushed fences for deferred flushes has now landed within the Radeon Gallium3D code. Performance win!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wao, not bad, perhaps my next card will be AMD after all.

Comment

Micheal: "Feral Interactive their other ports may win too."
      That last part doesn't parse for me?

Exciting news. I wonder if there is any gains for Shadow of Mordor? Its performance was a little too sluggish for me to enjoy it on my system. The same can be said about Dreamfall: Chapters, even on lowest specs it was super sluggish. If they were waiting on fences...

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
        Micheal: "Feral Interactive their other ports may win too."
        That last part doesn't parse for me?
        I think he means: "Feral Interactive's other ports may win, too."

Comment

Originally posted by figgles View Post
          I think he means: "Feral Interactive's other ports may win, too."
          Does that even make sense in the context of the performance patch though? Since Feral didn't port Bioshock? Virtual Progamming's titles may see an improvement however if they're using the same wrapper? So games like Witcher 2 and the Saints Row titles potentially might some performance boosts aswell?
          Dirt: Showdown is another title, but that plays pretty well already.

Hopefully somebody will do some benchmarks.

Comment

Hey Michael! Any chance you could run some benches to see how big of an effect this has by comparing it to results you have on file? No need to do a big multi-card rundown, one card with the pre-patch drivers versus one card with post-patch drivers would be fine.

Comment

Wow. Either I was applying these patches incompletely last time, or I made some kernel config mistake, but now I do see the results.
              Where bioshock had 11-12 fps I now have 30+. Not only that, it also slightly improved Saints Row IV performance. Where it dropped to 12 fps it now has 15. It may not sound much, but it feels much more responsive, it could actually be called playable now.
              Thanks again, Marek!

Comment

Originally posted by pewspewpew View Post
                Wow. Either I was applying these patches incompletely last time, or I made some kernel config mistake, but now I do see the results.
                Where bioshock had 11-12 fps I now have 30+. Not only that, it also slightly improved Saints Row IV performance. Where it dropped to 12 fps it now has 15. It may not sound much, but it feels much more responsive, it could actually be called playable now.
                Thanks again, Marek!
                Good to hear. I tried BS:I last week and gave up after a few minutes due to poor performance on my 290, even with low settings. Sounds like it might be a more enjoyable experience now.

Not yet mentioned (since the article a few days ago about the patches on the mailing list) is that Marek also committed the ARB_clear_texture extension for radeonsi and r600g. Thanks, Marek!

Edit: Not upgrading yet due the this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97285
                Last edited by ResponseWriter; 11 August 2016, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X