Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 480: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. AMDGPU-PRO - Interesting CPU/Power Difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX 480: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. AMDGPU-PRO - Interesting CPU/Power Difference

Phoronix: Radeon RX 480: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. AMDGPU-PRO - Interesting CPU/Power Difference

With today's 12-page AMD Radeon RX 480 review under Ubuntu Linux, tests were carried out both with the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver and the pure open-source driver via the Linux 4.7 kernel and RadeonSI Gallium3D Mesa 12.1-dev. In this article are more tests of just the RX 480 when comparing the two Linux driver options for this first AMD Polaris card to make it to market. The CPU usage and power consumption difference are particularly interesting if you have been debating between these two drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My first comment as a registered forum user and a premium member. I am a long time reader, but a newer Linux user. I really appreciate all of the posts on this site. Michael, Do you use the Padoka or Oibaf PPA primarily? I found the Oibaf PPA to be more stable for my old 5870m. This old GPU rocks on wine+nine in guild wars 2 though at an average of 22 fps, which is more than my Windows 10 laptop with R7 270m GPU.

Comment

> This article is temporarily only available to Phoronix Premium members

Not a fan of this. No doubt like many of your readers, I follow Phoronix through RSS feeds - and if the article comes up on the feeds but isn't accessible when I click on it, well... the article might as well not exist, because I'm unlikely to come back to it later on the chance that it's now available.

I understand the desire to bring money in from subscribers, but this feels like something that will hurt rather than help...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Not a fan of this. No doubt like many of your readers, I follow Phoronix through RSS feeds - and if the article comes up on the feeds but isn't accessible when I click on it, well... the article might as well not exist, because I'm unlikely to come back to it later on the chance that it's now available.

I understand the desire to bring money in from subscribers, but this feels like something that will hurt rather than help...
        I totally understand Michael's motivation behind this. But I have to agree with Delgarde ...

Comment

Originally posted by PadreAdamo View Post
          My first comment as a registered forum user and a premium member. I am a long time reader, but a newer Linux user. I really appreciate all of the posts on this site. Michael, Do you use the Padoka or Oibaf PPA primarily? I found the Oibaf PPA to be more stable for my old 5870m. This old GPU rocks on wine+nine in guild wars 2 though at an average of 22 fps, which is more than my Windows 10 laptop with R7 270m GPU.
          Generally the Padoka PPA as at last check Oibaf PPA wasn't building against newer AMDGPU LLVM.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is an experiment that just started today for only 2~3 articles planned to see reaction and effect it has. Will likely be used very rarely a.k.a. maybe ~2 times a month pending outcome of experiments.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Generally the Padoka PPA as at last check Oibaf PPA wasn't building against newer AMDGPU LLVM.
              Good tip. I didn't know that. I'm taking an introduction to Linux course to dive head first into this world.

Comment

Good tip. I didn't know that. I'm taking an introduction to Linux course to dive head first into this world.
                Great and welcome to the forums and thanks for becoming premium!
                Michael Larabel

Comment

I actually think it's the right thing to do since Michael needs to get more money and free time (i am actually worried that he never takes time of for him self and his family since it's not good in the long run).

Comment

Note that you said you have a 5870 card, which means you're using the older r600g driver and that doesn't rely on LLVM at all.

So for your case, Oibaf is just fine. If you start using the radeonsi driver (for 7000 series and later) then you'd want to look at Padoka.

Comment

Working...
                    X