4870 Xorg.conf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zhark View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try out the stuff you mentioned tomorrow.

I tested glxgears now, I get 7500 fps with the 4870, with the 7800gt I get 12000 fps. The 4870 should be immensely more powerful than the 7800gt. But I guess glxgears can't be trusted?
    you lucky guy !
    With my HD4870 factory overclocked, 1 Gb RAM, glxgears runs at only 95 fps. yes, ninety-five fps ! There's no typo !
    It seems that my ati drivers are all ok, but only 95 fps. Since I'm still installing my Gentoo -which is always a long step before feeling comfortable- I didn't take time as my screen resolution and refresh rate is ok, but I'll take some time to understand that.
    Perhaps will UT2K4 and Quake Wars start nice at a high frame rate without doing nothing more ? After all, glxgears is not supposed to be a reliable benchmark...

Comment

Weird, is DRI working?

I also have another problem now, which maybe someone knows how to fix:
      As you all know, sync to vblank doesn't work with Xv output and fglrx.
      Therefore I use GL output and forced opengl vsync in amdcccle.
      This works as long as I'm just playing back material in SD. But when trying to view 720p or higher h.264 material, cpu usage is 100% and video lags and stutters.

DRI is working (Quake iv runs great in 1920x1200 with AA and AF at max).

System:
      3GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB RAM, HD4870, Linux Mint 5 (Ubuntu 8.04), Fglrx 8.54.3.

Comment

Weird, is DRI working?
        Very good question. I wish I could answer but I don't know how to check. To be honnest, I didn't take time right now.
        I think I have compiled everything in kernel that was talking about "ATI" or "Radeon"...

I think ATI could at least insert a splash screen on X startup (as nvidia is doing) so there's no doubt about the fact that the driver is running with it's full capacities...
        I could have added that idea to the thread "Ask ATI devs", but the over-posting in that thread (more than 32 pages) makes me think that it's like a drop in the ocean...

Comment

You can check this easily by running "glxinfo |grep direct"

EDIT: If it's not it's probably due to not having the (correct) fglrx kernel module loaded ("lsmod |grep fglrx"), or not using fglrx at all ("cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep fglrx"). Reinstalling the fglrx driver, running "[I]aticonfig --initial -f" followed by " modprobe -r fglrx" and "modprobe fglrx" should in any case fix the problem.
          Last edited by zhark; 31 October 2008, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I also have another problem now, which maybe someone knows how to fix:
            As you all know, sync to vblank doesn't work with Xv output and fglrx.
            Therefore I use GL output and forced opengl vsync in amdcccle.
            This works as long as I'm just playing back material in SD. But when trying to view 720p or higher h.264 material, cpu usage is 100% and video lags and stutters.
            Yea I've noticed that, and having recently put my R500 back I tested where it broke.

Using the old fglrx drivers mplayer gl barely uses more than xv, but since the new naming scheme drivers gl + h264 eats loads of CPU.

I haven't found any options that change this.

Comment

You can check this easily by running "glxinfo |grep direct"
              With recent Xorg/mesa that alone is not enough as swrast uses direct rendering.

glxinfo | grep renderer

Should show which driver is being used.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                Very good question. I wish I could answer but I don't know how to check. To be honnest, I didn't take time right now.
                I think I have compiled everything in kernel that was talking about "ATI" or "Radeon"...
                I think you probably don't want that stuff running.

Try going to your /lib/modules/<your kernel num>/kernel/drivers/char/drm
                copy everything there, except fglrx.ko to somewhere else and then delete them here.

Try doing same thing at similar area but ...char/agp. Then reboot

After booting: do lsmod | grep fg. You should see fglrx. Then go into X, unless already there and see how acceleration works.

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
                  I think you probably don't want that stuff running.

Try going to your /lib/modules/<your kernel num>/kernel/drivers/char/drm
                  copy everything there, except fglrx.ko to somewhere else and then delete them here.

Try doing same thing at similar area but ...char/agp. Then reboot

After booting: do lsmod | grep fg. You should see fglrx. Then go into X, unless already there and see how acceleration works.
                  My lsmod is giving me already only "radeonfb" and "fglrx" as loaded modules.
                  My DRI seems to be active ( -> I added Load "dri" in xorg.conf and a "dri" section to change the permissions to 0666) but I still get 90 fps with glxgears !

Comment

>My DRI seems to be active ( -> I added Load "dri" in xorg.conf and a "dri" section to change the permissions to 0666) but I still get 90 fps with glxgears !

look into Xorg.0.log anf try glxinfo. Everything else is just guessing.

Comment

glxinfo says "Direct Rendering : yes"

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep dri says "AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib64/fglrx_dri.so".

This time, I'm sure ! Thanks a lot for those hints !

Comment

Working...
                      X