Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vein
    replied
    (I have tried to answer to bridgmans post 4 times now but the messages never get through...I have no idea what is happening... I'll make a try here without the quotes and maybe it will work...)

bridgman Big thanks for the fast answer. I hope you (or the amdgpu-devs) can find the problem. I would like to use the laptop to play around with some HSA stuff since I think it is pretty cool. I have been thinking of installing the ROCK driver on the fiji machine to do some fiddling/learning but never had the time due to some java-microservice projects

So, great! And Big thanks for looking at this.

Leave a comment:

• vein
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I have a similar system (Carrizo + Topaz), will try 16.04 on it today. I have been running into problems with upstream kernels where the PFP microcode fails to load on a Carrizo engineering board resulting in similar symptoms to what you are seeing (same kernel works fine on my COTS Kaveri)... figuring out what's happening there was on my list for today.

I'll probably end up asking the amdgpu devs for help tomorrow (this is just a glitch on the way to upstreaming the Radeon Open Compute (aka Boltzmann) stack, but I wanted to at least nibble around the edges of the problem first
    TESTING!! Is it freaking impossible to write an answer to bridgeman on this forum???

Leave a comment:

• vein
    replied
    I have a similar system (Carrizo + Topaz), will try 16.04 on it today. I have been running into problems with upstream kernels where the PFP microcode fails to load on a Carrizo engineering board resulting in similar symptoms to what you are seeing (same kernel works fine on my COTS Kaveri)... figuring out what's happening there was on my list for today.

I'll probably end up asking the amdgpu devs for help tomorrow (this is just a glitch on the way to upstreaming the Radeon Open Compute (aka Boltzmann) stack, but I wanted to at least nibble around the edges of the problem first
    (Ok...whats wrong with this forum?? This is the third time I write an answer to you..but the posts never come through...but my answer to debianxfce went through like a charm...)

Big thanks for taking a look this fast. I hope you (or the amdgpu-devs) can find the problems. I want to use this laptop for playing around with th HSA stuff that I think I really instresting. Been learning OpenCL and GL on the fiji machine and will probably soon install the ROCK to play around with the stuff but been too occupied with some Java microservice projects to get there

Leave a comment:

• vein
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You need to remove fglrx complelty before using amdgpu. Check from the dkms that fglrx is not there and remove all fglrx libs and files. If you used package manager to install fglrx, use that to remove fglrx.
    Ah, good thinking. But after I crashed I couldn't boot up to ubuntu anymore, just got the HP System screen so tried a fresh install (thats what I ment with "manually installing") and during the installation, the screen went completely black..

Leave a comment:

• vein
    replied

Wow, I didn't expect an answer this fast. Big thanks for the fast response. I hope you (or the amdgpu-dev) can find the error... I was hoping to use the laptop for some HSA coding/experimenting in the future

I need to install the ROCK driver on this (fiji) machine too to try it out but never got there due to some Java-microservice projects that keep popping up

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Last edited by bridgman; 24 April 2016, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vein
    replied
    D'oh !!

Thanks.
    @Bridgeman Thanks for the good work with the AMDGPU, running it on Ubuntu 16.04 with fiji (Radeon Nano) and it works perfectly. Though I got some problems with my laptop and thought that maybe you could help me there.

The laptop is a HP Pavillion with A10-8700P + R7 m275x (Carrizo + Topaz) and the upgrade from 15.10 to 16.04 crashed completely (I was running on fglrx-updates before the upgrade). No worries, I took backups and tries to install 16.04 manually...but the screen went black in the middle of the installation...
    I finally managed to complete the installation with nomodeset option set and booted up but I get the same problem inside ubuntu. The machine worked prefectly with fglrx 15.12...

I looked at the syslogs and found this message: "amdgpu ring 0 test failed" and I did some googling and found this bug that I think causes it: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92270

I just wanted to hear if you (or anyone else here) have any pointers on what I should do (as a workaround) or should I just follow that bug and see when it gets solved? (Right now I am reverting it the laptop to an older version where I can still run 15.12).

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    D'oh !!

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied

Don't you also have a Tonga board (285/380/380X) ?
    I have a 390x

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Yeah 380 is a different species. Looks like I won't be fixing this screen wobble issue on this AMDGPU driver any time soon.
    Don't you also have a Tonga board (285/380/380X) ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X