RadeonSI Compute Shaders Land In Mesa Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    I've updated to today's mesa-git, but I can't see compute shader in glxinfo, even with a 4.3 override, is it supposed to show there?
    Pretty please?
    (I have llvm-svn as well)

Comment

Without the override it should still say

glxinfo -s | grep -i compute
      GL_ARB_compute_shader
      GL_ARB_compute_shader

edit: But I do wonder what's wrong. I just tried linus' git kernel with this patch applied https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...fed19d53afab21 and compute shaders are disabled on it.

With drm-next-4.7 compute shaders work...

Last edited by haagch; 23 April 2016, 07:49 AM.

Comment

After drivers update (Padoka PPA) I checked SoM, but it looks like compute shaders doesn't work on my config too (GL_ARB_compute_shader extension is marked as available by glxinfo). I use stock Gnome Ubuntu 16.04 + Padoka PPA. Do you know if full compute shaders support is already available via this PPA?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

SoM requires OpenGL 4.3. Current Mesa-git radeon driver reports only OpenGL 4.2 because of GLSL. Try:

Code:
          MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=430 steam.sh
          Thanks, it works fine at now

I have some results from SoM (Radeon 380 2GB, 1920x1080 + custom settings, however mostly set at high + tesselation on):

[Windows 10 + Catalyst 15.9]
          Min: 36
          Avg: 84
          Max: 168

[Gnome Ubuntu 15.04 + Catalyst 15.9]
          Min: 11
          Avg: 20
          Max: 38

[Gnome Ubuntu 16.04 + Padoka PPA]
          Min: 12
          Avg: 25
          Max: 54

It looks like oss drivers works better than Catalyst for SoM at Linux, however results from Windows 10 and Gnome Ubuntu 15.04 are few months old, so I'm not sure if oss drivers are better or just Feral posted a patch. Anyway if we compare those results to Windows it looks like this port is really bad... Eg. in The Witcher 2 with oss drivers on Linux I have 80% of Windows performance...

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
            Without the override it should still say

glxinfo -s | grep -i compute
            GL_ARB_compute_shader
            GL_ARB_compute_shader

I see, strange:
            $glxinfo -s | grep -i compute
            $
            Well now I know to look into a bit more, thanks!

Actually I see you in the bbs, do you use lordheavy's repo to get your mesa-git?
            If so that would mean that the issue lies in my system and not the packages... is there any new package needed to install?
            Last edited by geearf; 23 April 2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

lordheavy figured it out, with my card I need alex' wip kernel branch, with that I get compute shaders working!
              Now onto finding something that actually uses them.

Comment

I've been playing a bit of Mordor, and it plays fine on Ultra.... not sure what my fps are, but since it seems good enough I have not checked.
                I did not expect that at all..

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  I've been playing a bit of Mordor, and it plays fine on Ultra.... not sure what my fps are, but since it seems good enough I have not checked.
                  I did not expect that at all..
                  your specs please. I need to decide if I buy the game for my radeonSI HD7950 system.

Comment

280x (so a bit better than yours), i7 4790k and 16Gb of RAM (and a SSD but for the system not the game, though I could put the game on it. I guess that wouldn't be a bad move.).
                    it's not perfect on ultra, I think I've seen a few slowdowns, but nothing that I cannot live with. It might not even be related to the graphic settings.

Comment

Can confirm about the CPU. On my i7 3632QM + HD 7970M this is the benchmark on lowest settings:
                      video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

During gameplay it's sometimes even worse:

The fighting is actually quite dull. With just alternating between left and right mouse click 2-3 times a second, you're pretty much invincible and have to ask the question: Why would anyone fear the orcs if one skilled fighter can take on an army for minutes without being hit once?

Comment

Working...
                      X