No announcement yet.

What to do with my R9 390x ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I did a lot of that. Found no source. From what I gathered it might not even be possible from any available kernel. Is it right now?
    Last edited by Xen0sys; 26 April 2016, 10:00 AM.

Comment

What do you even want amdgpu-pro for? You do realise, it is a beta-driver? Why would you upgrade your system to LTS and then use beta drivers?
      If you are in desperate need of the closed components, I'd just stick with the current system (14.04 or whatever) and fglrx for some weeks. There ain't nothing wrong if it works and is stable.
      If you are not in this desperate need and want the open source drivers instead, just go with radeon. No further action required.
      You could still upgrade to amdgpu-pro when the stack is officially released in a few weeks/months.

Comment

What's going to offer the best gaming (steam) performance on 16.04 with the 390x? Steam fails to launch using open sourced drivers unless I delete a libstdc++ file every time it updates (annoying). Even after that, every game I tried to launch crashes on launch. (This is a fresh install not an upgrade)

As of now I don't really know how to install any alternatives since there aren't options in the "Additional Drivers" section. Maybe I do just need to wait for -pro to release. Thought it would be out with 16.04's release. What kernel?
        Last edited by Xen0sys; 26 April 2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Do not use such a toy os then.

No problems with Steam and oss amdgpu driver with Debian.
          Not worth backtracking that much for one convenience. Understandable though since that is basically SteamOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Xen0sys View Post
            As of now I don't really know how to install any alternatives since there aren't options in the "Additional Drivers" section. Maybe I do just need to wait for -pro to release. Thought it would be out with 16.04's release. What kernel?
            We had talked about mid-year-ish (say early June) for the next release, with 16.04 support.

That said, Michael had some success running the current preview driver on 16.04 but I don't remember reading exactly what he did (eg whether he back-dated any parts before installing).
            Test signature

Comment

Ah ok. Waiting game it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Xen0sys View Post
                We had talked about mid-year-ish (say early June) for the next release with "official" 16.04 support.

That said, Michael had some success running the current preview driver on 16.04 but I don't remember reading exactly what he did, ie whether it just installed or whether he had to move to older kernel or X versions before installing. Couldn't find the article either for a while, but eventually remembered it was down in the "BSD, Mac OS X, Hurd and others" section:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...n-ubuntu-linux

EDIT - that's wierd, first post disappeared so I posted again, then previous post re-appeared. I tell you, the forums are haunted...
                Last edited by bridgman; 26 April 2016, 11:08 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

I'm noticing some very odd behavior on the forums as well today. Your first post is still visible to me. I was unable to see edits for one of my previous posts.

Comment

Working...
                  X