No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try using Textured2D and TexturedXRender options in Xorg.conf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
      Try using Textured2D and TexturedXRender options in Xorg.conf.
      I've tried these options, and hadn't seen any speed improvement. Only visible difference was 2D corruption with xrender composite enabled or when compositing was disabled.

Comment

• Originally posted by rampage7 View Post
        So You don't have any lags when you're trying to maximize window? Or simply when you show new window? On my system (Gentoo amd64, radeon4850@catalyst 8.8) with enabled compositing hiding kmail to tray and showing it again takes about 1 second. Also switching between desktops causes sometimes about 1-sec lag.
        In my case (compiz 0.7.6) the operations that cause lag are resizing, maximizing, restoring (from maximize), unshading and creating new windows. Switching desktops is as fast as ever. I suppose the problem is a painfully slow pixmap-to-texture operation, which occurs everytime a window changes or is created (or maybe not ).

Well, I can live with it, I don't resize or maximize windows very often. But it'd be nice to have it fixed.

3850 + 8.8 + Gentoo 64bit.

Comment

• Am I wrong, or the option TexturedVideoSync is not implemented yet?

I'm running Catalyst 8.8 and watching a movie with TexturedVideo, I keep seeing those "flickerings" made by lack of vsync.

I hate it because it's so disturbing when watching a movie.

Comment

• yes it's not, that's the major failure of this driver for now for me

Comment

• I just tried KDE 4.1.1 with desktop effects turned on (Xrender).
              And I am very happy with the result. Scrolling is fast. Moving windows is fast. googleearth does not flicker anymore.
              The only two 'bad' things: manual resizing is still slow (maximize/minimize is fast) and xv is always on top

Comment

• another update: I just switched between X, console and back to X without a lockup!

Strange - but a few days ago that meant certain 'death' for my box and the only things changed:
                I updated to kde 4.1.1 and
                I removed all ati files from /etc/acpi

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  good move

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    Strange - but a few days ago that meant certain 'death' for my box and the only things changed:
                    I updated to kde 4.1.1 and
                    Were those /etc/acpi files put there by the Catalyst installer/packages? On my system, I see:
                    Code:
                    $ find /etc/acpi -name "*ati*"
                    /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-lid-aticonfig
                    /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-ac-aticonfig

$ find /etc/acpi -name "*fglrx*"
                    /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-lid-aticonfig
                    /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-ac-aticonfig
                    /etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh
                    So if there's anything else there you've removed, it sounds like a conflict between fglrx and your distro

Comment

• this are the files installed into /etc/acpi:
                      ep -R "/etc/acpi/" /var/db/pkg
                      /var/db/pkg/sys-power/acpid-1.0.6-r1/CONTENTSbj /etc/acpi/default.sh e9332866b311b718199d01394358fef8 1192446521
                      /var/db/pkg/sys-power/acpid-1.0.6-r1/CONTENTS:dir /etc/acpi/events
                      /var/db/pkg/sys-power/acpid-1.0.6-r1/CONTENTSbj /etc/acpi/events/default 414d143f4c5e83c422f706f671820e6d 1192446521
                      /var/db/pkg/sys-power/acpid-1.0.6-r1/acpid-1.0.6-r1.ebuild: insinto /etc/acpi/events
                      /var/db/pkg/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.522/CONTENTSbj /etc/acpi/ati-powermode.sh 53e3f067b194b1390ef9a0faf6cc6dfc 1219932393
                      /var/db/pkg/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.522/CONTENTS:dir /etc/acpi/events
                      /var/db/pkg/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.522/CONTENTSbj /etc/acpi/events/a-ac-aticonfig fe6c2398b1890a0b0ecbbf2617471827 1219932393
                      /var/db/pkg/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.522/CONTENTSbj /etc/acpi/events/a-lid-aticonfig fdc02818706c3ae5062a9add9125448d 1219932393

that the pm knows off. Everything with 'ati' in its name got removed.

Comment

Working...
                      X