No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson 15.12 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side note, FWIW, works okay with PITCAIRN (S. Island). Abominable AMD release-notes are a crime, so you cannot know without trying it. In case anyone was still unsure, I can confirm that specific core is supported.

But, what I want to add to this thread is that the OSS drivers are *unusable.* I'm not saying their too slow or don't support the latest OpenGL. I'm talking about the fact that the OSS drivers don't support the HDA audio on my card. Lots of people probably need that feature and it's not part of the GPU secret sauce AMD is trying to keep proprietary. The OSS drivers also had a problem recovering the monitor after sleep with DPMI; the desktop was messed up and I had to reboot. That's a deal-breaker. These are things that need to work; not well, just at all. That all happened with in a few hours when I tested it just two weeks ago.

In the 2D era, OSS drivers used to be slow, but they looked great and were completely usable if not fully functional. In the GPU era, even common and/or old functionality never materializes. It's not completely shocking; I know that video adapters are much more complicated now than they were back in the day. But, it also seems worse because there are so many more people working to support the GNU/Linux ecosystem now than there used to be. And getting a problem fixed was much easier. It used to be that the only person you could report bugs to was the one guy who wrote the driver. Now, things never get fixed no matter how many distribution bugs I file. I guess this is all OT...

My point is that, it's not just a personal choice. These AMD releases rule my life, these days. I *don't* have the option to "just" use the OSS drivers. I have to wait until AMD fixes these drivers every time I get a kernel or X update.

Comment

I think it would be DPMS but i think i used HDMI sound with oss drivers too (EVERGREEN). AMD is a bit weird, DVI did not have got any sound - Nvidia does not check that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        I think it would be DPMS but i think i used HDMI sound with oss drivers too (EVERGREEN). AMD is a bit weird, DVI did not have got any sound - Nvidia does not check that.
        I've see dual link DVI with sound pinned out on it. It's usually just spdif.

Comment

Working...
        X