Radeon Software Crimson Edition Will Reportedly Offer Better Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Basically... what's the point in keeping the proprietary driver around instead of phasing it out and improving the open-source driver?
    Not everyone is intel.

Is there any chance that the new AMDGPU drivers also be supported on my HD 6490?

Comment

The AI port was done by a Mac company. MAC's are multicore and the test was on a dualcore! Even the specs say minimum a i3. A i3 can use 4 cores but a dualcore only two. Looking at AI it uses all 8 cores of my i7 on Ubuntu and never falls below 100fps.

Comment

Short Story:
        Playing Heroes of the storm on a 6870 with gallium9. Today tried the game on my Windows partition with catalyst. Got exactly the same framerate. Was very impressed by open source drivers/wine/gallium9.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
          Empire is obviously not being targeted for a 155% increase (as it is heavily CPU bound and ancient).
          someone has to tell you that driver runs on cpu
          and it is not 155% increase it is 155% result. increase is 55%

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Or is there other reasons where Catalyst/fglrx excels that isn't performance (and can't those same reasons also be improved on open-source)?
            it is opengl support. it is being improved on open-source for last ears

Comment

It would be an improvement for AMD if they could make the Fiji cards faster than the older models on Linux.

Comment

Hope they fix the bug i've been having. In desktop use, like browsing internet, GPU usage would go to 100%, mouse movement would stutter and fans start screaming.

Radeonsi doesn't have it, but performance is crap :/

Comment

Originally posted by silaka View Post
                  Hope they fix the bug i've been having. In desktop use, like browsing internet, GPU usage would go to 100%, mouse movement would stutter and fans start screaming.

Radeonsi doesn't have it, but performance is crap :/ .
                  My experience with plasma: After a while (2 days uptime) performance drops, everythings stutters all animations are slideshows. Restarting plasma helps.
                  Does not happen with catalyst. (But with intel too btw.)

Comment

Any leakage of Linux driver? Windows users already got some beta7 Crimson

OK no embargo, should be released now

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9811/a...river-overview

OK released for Linux too now, on AMD site

Xonotic has profile now, even GPUTest Oh, sdl xonotic is missing that one phoronix benchmark now
                    Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X