Radeon Software Crimson Edition Will Reportedly Offer Better Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opensource extremists again

Opensource drivers should implement threaded GL and shader cache, with those you will be mostly where Catalyst is now by perfromance in gaming

I use both Catalyst and radeon drivers and i don't complain, why some else complain i dunno
    Last edited by dungeon; 23 November 2015, 06:52 PM.

Comment

The closed source OpenGL driver will continue to exist on top of amdgpu to address certain market segments.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        The closed source OpenGL driver will continue to exist on top of amdgpu to address certain market segments.
        By "certain market segment" you mean HPC and gamers?

Comment

Originally posted by SvenK View Post

Only Empire: Total War is available on Linux (without wine) today. Rome II and Attila are announced for end of this year.
          Thats exactly what I said. Empire is obviously not being targeted for a 155% increase (as it is heavily CPU bound and ancient). Rome II/Attila have been pending since 2013 and are not released, so why are they using them as an example in their slides (unless it means they are dropping like tomorrow).

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Opensource extremists again

Opensource drivers should implement threaded GL and shader cache, with those you will be mostly where Catalyst is now by perfromance in gaming

I use both Catalyst and radeon drivers and i don't complain, why some else complain i dunno
            I can't use Catalyst without doing work for it (does/will it even support XOrg 1.18 and kernel 4.2.6?) and crossing my fingers every day an automatic update doesn't break it. Open-source drivers meanwhile just work (most of the time anyway, although I haven't had any issues for months now)

Comment

Every user who might not be exactly satisfied by opensource driver might found Radeon Software driver handy - opposite is true too . Basically opensource drivers does not cover some segments and some situations, also Radeon Software does not cover some other... so for years it is like that and about 'choose what you need' or maybe choose what you like better or whatever.
              Last edited by dungeon; 23 November 2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Most issues with Catalyst (Radeon Software whatever) will disappear with AMDGPU. Kernel updates and driver updates will be in sync, since they will be the same update. Also, using GLAMOR instead of their own 2D stack might make it sync better with X.org too.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  Most issues with Catalyst (Radeon Software whatever) will disappear with AMDGPU. Kernel updates and driver updates will be in sync, since they will be the same update. Also, using GLAMOR instead of their own 2D stack might make it sync better with X.org too.
                  Won't this only apply to GPUs supported by it (300-series and higher)?

Comment

Or most issues with opensource drivers RHEL6 user will solve by switching to Arch ... basically people should realise how your distro XYZ is not only one on earth and that there are situations where things does not fly for opensource drivers yet

I don't think blob will soon switch entirely to AMDGPU, maybe in 2017. or something like that... i guess even then, they will need to maintain for some time old approach... It might happen after some years by evolution, not by revolution
                    Last edited by dungeon; 23 November 2015, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Or most issues with opensource drivers RHEL6 user will solve by switching to Arch ... basically people should realise how there are situations where things does not fly for opensource drivers yet

I don't think blob will soon switch entirely to AMDGPU, maybe in 2017. or something like that... i guess even then, they will need to maintain for some time old approach... It might happen after some years by evolution, not by revolution
                      It's understandable that fglrx does have some benefits over the open-source driver... but isn't that just all the more reason to focus on the open-source driver instead?

From my general understanding, we have one driver that has pretty good performance in some situations, but you have another driver with more platform support, stability, and flexibility, but lacking in performance in the situations where the former driver excels. Why not bring the latter driver up-to-par performance-wise? Or is there other reasons where Catalyst/fglrx excels that isn't performance (and can't those same reasons also be improved on open-source)?

Basically... what's the point in keeping the proprietary driver around instead of phasing it out and improving the open-source driver?

Comment

Working...
                      X