Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU 1.0 DDX Driver Released

Phoronix: AMDGPU 1.0 DDX Driver Released

In addition to the recent Radeon X.Org DDX stable update, Michel D?nzer of AMD had a few days ago put out AMDGPU v1.0.0 as the DDX driver's first declared release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if AMD will test compatibility of modesetting DDX driver and fglrx OpenGL libraries.

Comment

So why Fedora use xf86-video-modesetting instead of amdgpu driver on Tonga?

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
        So why Fedora use xf86-video-modesetting instead of amdgpu driver on Tonga?

I use xf86-video-modesetting instead of xf86-video-ati, what's the matter?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I looked the code of both modesetting and amdgpu.

Differences I found:
          . modesetting does support async flips (optionnal for Present/DRI3)
          . amdgpu does implement all the workarounds needed to have DRI2 DRI_PRIME working (for DRI3, modesetting is sufficient).
          . modesetting does use generic drm calls, while amdgpu does use some special amdgpu ones.

I'd advise to use modesetting, and if something doesn't work try amdgpu.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
            I looked the code of both modesetting and amdgpu.

Differences I found:
            . modesetting does support async flips (optionnal for Present/DRI3)
            . amdgpu does implement all the workarounds needed to have DRI2 DRI_PRIME working (for DRI3, modesetting is sufficient).
            . modesetting does use generic drm calls, while amdgpu does use some special amdgpu ones.

I'd advise to use modesetting, and if something doesn't work try amdgpu.
            How does one know if modesetting is on instead of the driver specific DDX?

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
              How does one know if modesetting is on instead of the driver specific DDX?
              Well because this is a userspace component just quering the db for installed packages should give you an idea!

Comment

Does anyone know about the performance difference, if any, between using modesetting and using xf86-video-amdgpu?

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post

Well because this is a userspace component just quering the db for installed packages should give you an idea!

Well, apparently xf86-video-modesetting is part of the main xorg package now (at least in arch).

I did add this
                  Code:
                   Section "Device"
                      Identifier    "devname"
                      Driver        "modesetting"
                  EndSection
                  to my xorg.conf.d conf files but I also have xf86-video-ati installed. Now I don't know which one is in use.

Comment

I'd guess that /var/log/Xorg.0.log would tell that (or journalctl if you use that without outputting it to the log file). I don't have any computers that use modesetting so I can't say which line it is, but probably grepping "modesetting" would work.

Comment

Working...
                    X