AMD Announces Radeon Software Crimson Edition, Radeon Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    Why not all GCN considering they will support Vulkan? My A10-7400P Kaveri powered laptop wants to be fully used in Linux world
    For the same reason that the new AMDGPU driver doesn't support GCN 1.0 or 1.1 (which personally I find disappointing).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      For the same reason that the new AMDGPU driver doesn't support GCN 1.0 or 1.1 (which personally I find disappointing).
      And reason for that is AMDGPU driver supporting GCN 1..2+ only, is to avoid duplicates of already supported GCN generations by radeon driver. Currently AMDGPU is opensource driver only, so there is no blob support there.

But Catalyst does not have that problem as it supports all GCN products, so i think all those GCNs will continue to be supported there for a quople years.

Also what i expected is HD (EG/NI) chips Catalyst's support would be dropped this year and i expect it still as year is not over... that might hurt some "We like to roll, but not have stable API" users, otherwise it would not be in line with tradition
      Last edited by dungeon; 02 November 2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

And reason for that is AMDGPU driver supporting GCN 1..2+ only, is to avoid duplicates of already supported GCN generations by radeon driver. Currently AMDGPU is opensource driver only, so there is no blob support there.

But Catalyst does not have that problem as it supports all GCN products, so i think all those GCNs will continue to be supported there for a quople years.

Also what i expected is HD (EG/NI) chips Catalyst's support would be dropped this year and i expect it still as year is not over... that might hurt some "We like to roll, but not have stable API" users, otherwise it would not be in line with tradition

the only problem are the bugs and garbage support, you forget that

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          the only problem are the bugs and garbage support, you forget that
          How can i possibly forgot that, i think i will remember this and keep spoke about "bugs and garbage support" until i die

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

There aren't many things to tweak on the FOSS driver. Turn on / off DRI3? Monitor the GPU load? You cannot do software overclocking with the Mesa drivers, and unlike the big horrible mess of the proprietary drivers the FOSS ones don't have game specific tuning.
            Not exactly true. I don't know if RadeonSI is like this but r600 uses vsync by default, I've always had to use a .drirc file based on one driconf created to turn vsync off for all games and on for all video players. Driconf can set up a lot of other options as well, though the file it makes (at least used to) require hand-editing to actually have the proper driver name. Also many drirc files originally made this way that actually work will be later regarded by driconf as invalid and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
              Another useless GUI with the design as if PC were a fucking tablet >_< I'm 95% sure that it still will hide most of the settings as before
              Well, for those who needs all imaginable settings in proprietary drivers, under fine grained software control, AMD has got some "ADL library" stuff which can do a load of things as long as your program calls this lib to do it. And you can take a look on something like BFGMiner to get idea how to control clocks, fans and whatever in most advanced way one can imagine. Yet, if you'll fry your hardware, do not cry...

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              [...] and on for all video players.
              And what is the point of doing so for PLAYER? Isn't tearing a very bad thing for video? Sure, in games one could value FPS over tear-free picture, especially if game engine computations are bound to frame boundaries. But why you have to do for player?

Comment

I've always had to use a .drirc file based on one driconf created to turn vsync off for all games and on for all video players.
                Do you mean disabling vsync for benchmarking, or also for gameplay?

For regular use, vblank_mode 3 (always on) seems to be the best option because it saves electricity:

Code:
                <!-- http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ConfigurationOptions/ -->
                <driconf>
                    <device screen="0" driver="dri2">
                        <application name="Default">
                            <!-- 0 = Never -->
                            <!-- 1 = Application preference, default interval 0 -->
                            <!-- 2 = Application preference, default interval 1 -->
                            <!-- 3 = Always synchronize with refresh -->
                            <option name="vblank_mode" value="3" />
                        </application>
                    </device>
                </driconf>
                For benchmarking, the mode can be set on the command line:

Code:
                $ vblank_mode=1 glxgears 
                ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
                ATTENTION: option value of option vblank_mode ignored.
                50127 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10025.391 FPS

Comment

Not exactly true. I don't know if RadeonSI is like this but r600 uses vsync by default, I've always had to use a .drirc file based on one driconf created to turn vsync off for all games and on for all video players.
                  radeonsi uses vblank by default too, where r600 and radeonsi differ is 2D accel so EXA vs glamor.

Thus on r600 to disable vblank completely you need vblank_mode=0 plus SwapbuffersWait off in xorg.conf. Some fullscreen apps will be synced regardless what you set, so only vblank_mode=0 is not enough for EXA.

I know EXA default is awfull, with default with some fullscreen apps you will be actually double synced to 30Hz ... OK, maybe not awfull only for people watching videos only in fullscreen and nothing else
                  Last edited by dungeon; 03 November 2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Great news. CCC is one of my biggest complaints. I only hope that this software can work also with the OSS drivers. Look there still needs to be some kind of GUI for configuring vsync or AA..... But I'd love to see fan control for the OSS drivers or GPU clock limiting in order to keep laptops cooler, etc. There are plenty of options that should be configurable through a GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

radeonsi uses vblank by default too, where r600 and radeonsi differ is 2D accel so EXA vs glamor.

Thus on r600 to disable vblank completely you need vblank_mode=0 plus SwapbuffersWait off in xorg.conf. Some fullscreen apps will be synced regardless what you set, so only vblank_mode=0 is not enough for EXA.

I know EXA default is awfull, with default with some fullscreen apps you will be actually double synced to 30Hz ... OK, maybe not awfull only for people watching videos only in fullscreen and nothing else
                      EXA is not bad. It's lightning fast. Glamor is fast enough, but EXA is much faster.

Comment

Working...
                      X