Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiwake View Post

Was poking around and found this http://www.patentcountdown.org/
    Donno who owns the domain, cause it would be nice to have a lookup/submit feature for other patents. Right now it seems to be hard-coded in for the S3TC patent.
    What other patents are in video drivers that are holding things up? In the video/audio codec world I can think of a few, is that what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
      What other patents are in video drivers that are holding things up?
      I know only of S3TC extensions and ARB_texture_float

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...cs/patents.txt

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I know only of S3TC extensions and ARB_texture_float

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...cs/patents.txt
        That other one goes to 6/16/2018 if my patent calc is right. 3 years and free at last.

Comment

Isn't it ironic and sad, that Mesa is getting ready for prime time -
          by means of closing the gap - just when the next big thing Vulkan will be released? :/

I know that OpenGL won't be obsolete but for the gamers
          among us Vulkan is the new hope.

Don't take that as criticism. I very much acknowledge all
          the hard work going into Mesa and it's amazing what the devs accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Isn't it ironic and sad, that Mesa is getting ready for prime time - by means of closing the gap - just when the next big thing Vulkan will be released? :/
            To me it isn't ironic nor sad, because Vulkan is not reality yet. Vulkan to be worthy for users depends on both drivers and games available, but neither of them publicly does not exist yet.

So, maybe... only if you like now to be ironic and sad that can be true
            Last edited by dungeon; 26 July 2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Isn't it ironic and sad, that Mesa is getting ready for prime time -
              by means of closing the gap - just when the next big thing Vulkan will be released? :/

I know that OpenGL won't be obsolete but for the gamers
              among us Vulkan is the new hope.

Don't take that as criticism. I very much acknowledge all
              the hard work going into Mesa and it's amazing what the devs accomplished.
              I would like to see Vulkan take off and not end up like Direct3D10 and 11. Those two were a failure. Not many game companies cared about their existence. It's always difficult to tell if a future API will succeed. Game companies hold all the cards, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                I would like to see Vulkan take off and not end up like Direct3D10 and 11. Those two were a failure.
                Not many game companies cared about their existence. It's always difficult to tell if a future API will succeed.
                Sure.

Game companies hold all the cards, I'm afraid.
                Exactly. And since it seems Vulkan belongs to Valve's SteamOS platform strategy,
                I'm very confident about its future.

Btw, Marek, would it make sense - from a technical POV - to integrate the
                Vulkan API into Mesa or will we mostly likely see a separate project?

Comment

Btw, Marek, would it make sense - from a technical POV - to integrate the
                  Vulkan API into Mesa or will we mostly likely see a separate project?
                  I have really no idea. I think it would be very difficult to reuse most of Mesa, because Vulkan is very different. We might need to write a new userspace driver for it. I think it will mostly likely be a separate project, potentially reusing some driver parts that are already in Mesa (like the winsys), but it's too early to make such predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                    When searching a few days ago, I only found 2 laptops that had the FX-8800P (the top-end one, everything else is probably a downgrade for me).
                    Some Toshiba Satellite, which I am very wary of because of Toshiba's bad reputation surrounding build quality, and this HP Envy with optional 8800P.
                    This Envy looks indeed nice, also the very first AMD notebook I encountered with backlit keyboard, but:
                    "Display: 15.6-inch diagonal HD WLED-backlit Display (1366x768)"...
                    Really? How can you not sell laptop with full HD resolution in 2015???

I'm not aware of any other Carrizo notebooks - sadly...

Comment

Originally posted by faph View Post
                      This Envy looks indeed nice, also the very first AMD notebook I encountered with backlit keyboard, but:
                      "Display: 15.6-inch diagonal HD WLED-backlit Display (1366x768)"...
                      Really? How can you not sell laptop with full HD resolution in 2015???

I'm not aware of any other Carrizo notebooks - sadly...
                      There are right there more expensive17z 900p/1080p Carrizo equiped laptops:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptop...&TabName=specs

But with A10-8700 at @900p or A10-8700p + discrete @1080p... but of course that is not only FX-8800P that he wants, not that FX made sanse if you have disrete A10 is enough There are couple Acer models i think, but those with FullHD are around $700 and all seems to have discrete graphic.

I feel like it is winter (BRRRRRR) when i think of PRIME and that i need to run amdgpu and radeon drivers for both
                      Last edited by dungeon; 26 July 2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X