No announcement yet.

Catalyst 8.6 + Cedega = graphics corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm... Is there an equivalent for ATi drivers to force a mode? Something like the environment variables for nVidia?

Comment

I hope this is fixed in the 8.8 release.
      I get the same corruption as everybody on Archlinux, Radeon 9800 Pro (both 8.6 and 8.7, 8.5 worked fine).
      And with fullscreen opengl games, if you switch workspaces the game doesnt go away, even keeps updating, but it doesnt respond to mouse or keyboard presses until you switch back to the same workspace where it was.

Comment

Do you really think they fix something? You must be lucky when they don't add a new error!

Comment

I think I found a workaround on Archlinux

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.p...395056#p395056

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Proble...ted_3D_display

From the second link

2/ As suggested by ATI support, edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and find the section "Display". Add the following line into the "Display" section:

Code:
           Virtual   <width> <height>
          where <width> is the width of your screen in pixels rounded up to the next multiple of 64 and <height> is the height of your screen in pixels. For example, if your native resolution is 1400x1050, use
          Code:
           Virtual 1408 1050
          After starting the X server you can run xrandr -s 0 to restore the X server to a native display resolution, and 3D rendering will still work.
          I also use the start up script for playing WoW in it's own X server http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install...Startup_Script. Specifically for me, since I have a 1024x768 screen, I used
          Code:
          Virtual 1048 768
          . Once I'm in an X session, I run
          Code:
          xrandr -s 0
          then execute the script.

It's working great so far on catalyst 8.7.

Comment

That sounds great, but using xrandr immediately messes up things again, just like the post from the Arch Forums..
            ATI better not have this problem in 8.8..

Comment

Just to summarize, my steps were:

1) install catalyst 8.7
              2) change xorg.conf to have a "Virtual X Y" line in the Display section
              3) Start up X
              4) run "xrandr -s 0"
              5) run WoW ( I do it in a separate script which spawns a separate X session, you might need to do this too. )

Notes
              - Right now, I am not sure if I deleted /etc/ati/amdpcsdb after I installed catalyst or not.
              - I use d3d instead of opengl as the engine

I'll also try invoking WoW directly, without creating a separate X session.

Good Luck

Comment

Hi all,

I am really sad about this screen corruption bug. It is all ok in the 8.5, but these drivers are much slower for my 9700pro.

However I installed archlinux today (first time) with ATI drivers and with glxgears I've got this:

libGL error: failed to open DRM: Operation not permitted
                libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
                FPS was something about 3100/s so I tried wine game and it works! Well...frame rate was lower, but it works!

Then I fixed permission in xorg.conf and glxgears was fine with cca 5600/s so I run wine and again graphic corruption :-(

However, maybe there can be any solution..? I have no idea what this actually do before and after permissions, bud maybe someone..?

Comment

8.8:

crossover games (tf2 still checkerboarding)
                  system monitor - still checkerboards but usable now (i.e. can now see system monitor window in front of checkerboards) - i noticed under the resources tab all 3 line graphs experience graphics corruption while updating)

Comment

Wow, just wow.

Comment

Originally posted by LordRaiden View Post
                      Just to summarize, my steps were:

1) install catalyst 8.7
                      2) change xorg.conf to have a "Virtual X Y" line in the Display section
                      3) Start up X
                      4) run "xrandr -s 0"
                      5) run WoW ( I do it in a separate script which spawns a separate X session, you might need to do this too. )

Notes
                      - Right now, I am not sure if I deleted /etc/ati/amdpcsdb after I installed catalyst or not.
                      - I use d3d instead of opengl as the engine

I'll also try invoking WoW directly, without creating a separate X session.

Good Luck
                      Maybe when you run it in a separate X server, the problem doesn't happen there, try running it in the same X server.
                      Also, why use D3D? I thought Wine worked best for WoW with OpenGL. But I use Cedega anyways, so I use D3D as default (since OpenGL can't run Specular Lighting and some other effects)
                      but with both Wine and Cedega, in both D3D and OpenGL, it's nowhere near Windows XP performance :/ I will try 8.8, since I stuck with 8.5 for so long now :P

Comment

Working...
                      X