Catalyst 8.6 + Cedega = graphics corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This seems to work yes.

Removing the fglrx-glx/fglrx-glx-ia32 packages in debian worked (had to reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx afterwards, didn't restore redirections)

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose reports that it's using the fglrx_dri.so driver also so acceleration should be working correctly.

This also fixes the switching workspaces while fullscreen OpenGL apps running issue curiously.

(edit): Requires to make a manual copy of the fglrx_dri.so if you remove fglrx-glx-ia32 for 32bit apps.
    Last edited by maligor; 05 August 2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

No, doesn't do the trick on ArchLinux. I uninstalled fglrx and installed the mesa-libgl, copied that to a safe location and reinstalled catalyst. Then tried to use the mesa-libGL.so both with LD_PRELOAD as well as by copying over the catalyst libGL. Still corruption.

Switching display mode by Ctrl-Alt-+, running wine, then (still within wine) Ctrl+Alt+- works. No corruption then and after playing back to the original desktop. Weird.

Comment

Same problem with opensuse 11.0 32 bits, catalyst 3.7 and radeon hd3850

Comment

dscharrer - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
          Your solution fixed everything for me here!
          When updating to 8.6 from Mandriva repos (by accident), Cedega couldn't run Warcraft III (screen corruption), Urban Terror switching to window mode would cause corruption, and so on. Copying the Mesa libGL.so to fglrx folder fixed everything!

Comment

Ok, I tried this again, I downloaded ATI's installer, installed 8.7, before copying the file, everything is as usual with the corruption. After I copy /usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib , it worked!

Comment

My only question in this regards would be about the performance. I'm sure that ATi ships their own libGL.so due to some optimizations or similar. What about the performance with the Mesa libGL.so instead of the fglrx shipped one.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                My only question in this regards would be about the performance. I'm sure that ATi ships their own libGL.so due to some optimizations or similar. What about the performance with the Mesa libGL.so instead of the fglrx shipped one.
                Well, it looks the same to me(same fast performance) although I noticed the slight graphical glitches in Cedega with Warcraft III have gone.
                And my glxgears have rosen from about 3300~ FPS to 4500~ FPS (I have an ATI x1650 Pro)
                Thanks again to dscharrer, now I can feel easy about upgrading to the newest driver release, with a hotfix in hand in case something goes wrong :P

Comment

I will have to try this work around...

@Bridgman:
                  What may be the impacts of using Mesa libGL instead of the shipped fglrx libGL with fglrx? Should there be any features missing or performance issues?

Comment

Ok. I have tried this work around for the corruption with Wine, and since I run a 64-bit system, I did that for both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64. While older games like Starcraft run now much better and if used some of the tricks to speed it up (for instance, force OpenGL rendering for DirectDraw) it is orders of magnitude faster than previously using libGL.so.1.2 (through the libGL.so.1 symlink). However, I lost the ability to run Compiz, even though glxinfo does report that GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is present.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                      Ok. I have tried this work around for the corruption with Wine, and since I run a 64-bit system, I did that for both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64. While older games like Starcraft run now much better and if used some of the tricks to speed it up (for instance, force OpenGL rendering for DirectDraw) it is orders of magnitude faster than previously using libGL.so.1.2 (through the libGL.so.1 symlink). However, I lost the ability to run Compiz, even though glxinfo does report that GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is present.
                      Hmm.. I didn't try Compiz, I will give it a try today, if I'm free.
                      For me, gaming is much more important than desktop effects

EDIT: I tried it out now, here is what it gives as an error:
                      Code:
                       [ahmad@localhost ~]$ compiz --replace
                      compiz (core) - Fatal: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, this isn't going to work.
                      compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
                      compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Comment

Working...
                      X