Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD/ATI + Linux + WINE = FAIL... all around.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what's funny?
    I also get the "chess board of doom" in Windows XP.
    Sometime when I'm in Counter Strike 1.6 NonSteam if I press Tab, by mistake I also press CapsLock and then the chess board of doom appears.
    Sounds strange but when I press CapsLock a small window appears at the bottom right edge of the screen to notify capslock on/off and that could be the cause.
    Anyway I can reproduce this everytime but it happends only the first time then everything works ok.
    Last edited by mo0n_sniper; 22 August 2008, 03:48 PM. Reason: be more specific

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
      You know what's funny?
      I also get the "chess board of doom" in windows.
      Sometime when I'm in Counter Strike 1.6 NonSteam if I press Tab, by mistake I also press CapsLock and then the chess board of doom appears.
      Sounds strange but when I press CapsLock a small window appears at the bottom right edge of the screen to notify capslock on/off and that could be the cause.
      Anyway I can reproduce this everytime but it happends only the first time then everything works ok.
      I just hope that one day we have same level of support and stability in 3D and Wine similar to that of nVIDIA..

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        It's not a secret that Codeweavers is using wines code for their CrossOver Software.
        I don't recall anyone ever saying that it was a secret.

Comment

It has long been said:
          ATI = good hardware, sucky drivers
          nVidia = sucky hardware, good drivers
          and if you put the two together, you'd get nVidia's hardware and ATI's drivers

nobody tell Jade that 'tinfoil' is actually made of aluminum, his head might explode

Comment

I have some good news!

With Kubuntu 8.10 (KDE 4.1 running) I can have Desktop Effects (Kwin) + Wine running withouth flickering (Using the 8.11 Beta drivers or whatever ships with (k)ubuntu)

Im pretty satisfied!

Comment

Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
              I have some good news!

With Kubuntu 8.10 (KDE 4.1 running) I can have Desktop Effects (Kwin) + Wine running withouth flickering (Using the 8.11 Beta drivers or whatever ships with (k)ubuntu)

Im pretty satisfied!
              By default, there's an open-source radeon (with KWing effects turned ON). But you can enable Proprietary driver, which will be Catalyst 8.10.

What's your setup?

Comment

It's with the proprietary driver (otherwise no Wine).

I Have a X1400Mobilty on a LG P2 Express Dual

Comment

Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
                  It's with the proprietary driver (otherwise no Wine).

I Have a X1400Mobilty on a LG P2 Express Dual
                  Is wine works in Window or Fullscreen? What about Video playback (via Xv; in window and in fullscreen) with KWing effects ON?

I'm just wondering if Catalyst or KWin programmers had invented some workaround to waiting for DRI2 (at least for fullscreen mode...)?

Comment

Originally posted by mityukov View Post
                    Is wine works in Window or Fullscreen? What about Video playback (via Xv; in window and in fullscreen) with KWing effects ON?

I'm just wondering if Catalyst or KWin programmers had invented some workaround to waiting for DRI2 (at least for fullscreen mode...)?
                    Video flicker for sure, but wine works both windowed and fullscreen. Something weird...

Comment

Ive got a same problem. I play (or want to play: Mount & Blade, Civ IV and Medieval 2. M&B works fine always (but crashes randomly), Medieval 2 never works (unhandled page fault ...) and civilization iv sometimes work (after new .wine installation - i do installation in same way - sometimes civilization iv works after it, and sometimes i got same error - unhandled page fault when tring to run it).

Comment

Working...
                      X