No announcement yet.

AMD ATI fglrx 8.32.5 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, to be precise. The radeon driver work the same way the fglrx driver works.

no dri support and 250 fps approx to the glxgears.

Comment

The ATI Radeon 9600 should be supported by the open-source Radeon driver... Who/what says it isn't supported? Edit: nevermind, didn't see your second post.

Edit: Have you tried using Livna RPMs for the fglrx drivers? livna.org
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cyberfish View Post
        well, to be precise. The radeon driver work the same way the fglrx driver works.

no dri support and 250 fps approx to the glxgears.
        What motherboard?

If it is nforce3 or nforce4 based it will not work since the agp driver does not work properly. Nothing wrong with the card. A via or sis based motherboard should work though. I had the same issue with my sempron system and only nvidia would work since they also provided a driver workaround for the agp stuff.

Comment

Michael, it's the same with the livna driver.

Well Fragadelic, I'm afraid you found the trick...

it's an asus k8n with nforce chipset. Are you sure the problem comes from here ? But tell me why do I bought an ATI card with a nvidia chipset ?!

Comment

Yes. That is the exact same board I have. Should get fixed eventually in newer kernels though but nothing out right now works AFAIK.

I have a 6600gt in that PC and this PC is a P4 524 (EM64T) 3.06G on an MSI PM8M3-VH motherboard wiht an X700 Pro video card.

Via and Sis chipsets are better supported in Linux.

What you could try is the nforce drivers from nvidia but you will have to compile them yourself. They might work although I'm not sure if they include the agp driver or not.

Not a chipset problem or video card problem. Nvidia has not given enough info to the kernel devs.

What reportedly works is to boot into windows and run a 3d app. Then reboot to linux and the agp should work and you should have dri and 3d. If you dual boot with windows this will work for you but if you only use linux, then you can either get an nvidia vard or an sis or via based mobo. mobo would be cheaper IMHO or just wait until the kernel driver works properly with it in a couple of months or so hopefully.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help (Michael and Fragadelic). I will give a try to the nforce3 drivers and maybe buy a cheap nvidia graphic card if I want to have fun with 3d.

For sure I don't have any Window OS on my computer.

Bye !

Comment

Originally posted by cyberfish View Post
                The command
                Code:
                cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW && cat var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
                only send back warnings. No error.

The radeon driver does not work. My card is still unsupported by the radeon driver so it is "normal" that it does not work.
                Is this just a typo in your command there? There is a / missing on the right part so it would not show errors anyway:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

In any event, if no direct rendering, first step is to find out whether fglrx loads with it, or not. The log will tell that. Should say something like
                (II) fglrx(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
                Screen to screen bit blits
                Solid filled rectangles
                8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
                Solid Lines
                Dashed Lines
                Offscreen Pixmaps
                Setting up tile and stipple cache:
                30 128x128 slots
                (II) fglrx(0): Acceleration enabled
                (WW) fglrx(0): Option "VendorName" is not used
                (WW) fglrx(0): Option "ModelName" is not used
                (II) fglrx(0): X context handle = 0x1
                (II) fglrx(0): [DRI] installation complete
                (II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering enabled
                (==) fglrx(0): Using hardware cursor
                (II) fglrx(0): Interrupt handler installed at IRQ 169.
                (II) fglrx(0): Exposed events to the /proc interface

Toward the end.

If DRI loads but does not work, then the problem is usually minor. I can think of two possibilities: either Selinux disallows some memory allocation thing, in which case trying to use the driver (such as when trying glxinfo or glxgears) results in a message in /var/log/messages like this:

Dec 13 16:18:55 localhost kernel: audit(1166051935.047:4): avc: denied { execmod } for pid=3124 comm="fgl_glxgears" name="fglrx_dri.so" dev=dm-0 ino=41653383 scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tcontext=user_ubject_r:lib_t:s0 tclass=file

This is really a bug in fglrx, but the work-around is easy, just allow execmod for fglrx_dri.so. I don't remember the precise command but a search will tell.

Finally there is a possibility that there are conflicting libraries that get loaded. To find out, there are ways to run things such as glxgears or fgl_glxinfo etc. in debug/verbose mode, which will tell you. Again, I don't quite recall the specifics, but a search will tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Negative, you will need to wait until next year.
                  Really, will GLX_EXT_tfp be finally in fglrx in 8.33 (January 07)?

Ohhh I can't wait for it ...
                  NVidia beats ATI again...

stjepan

Comment

Sorry, I get confused. I missed that /

I got errors and here they are :

=== cyberfish@localhost (/dev/pts/1) ~ 1 -> cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW && cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
                    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                    (WW) No FontPath specified. Using compiled-in default.
                    (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
                    (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
                    (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): Option "AGPMode" is not used
                    (WW) fglrx(0): Option "AGPSize" is not used
                    (WW) fglrx(0): Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" is not used
                    (WW) fglrx(0): Option "RenderAccel" is not used
                    (WW) fglrx(0): Option "EnablePageFlip" is not used
                    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
                    (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENODEV"
                    (EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
                    (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

Yesterday's diagnosis appears to be good. I am looking after compiling the nforce drivers but I don't find anything about agp in it. It seems to be only about Sata and Ethernet.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

There is an Arch Linux Wiki about this:

Under the Hardware Conflicts section you will find info on the nforce3 issue.

And the kernel bug report:

Still present in 2.6.19.

Comment

Working...
                      X