Support For Multiple Graphics Drivers With AMDKFD Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
    Serves me right for not reading the link. If accurate, that's a complete joke.
    Well not 100% accurate no one knows yet for sure , it is yet in area of rumor people tried to figuring out that of newest beta driver for Windows:

As always marketing names are just marketing names
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 March 2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

AMD Laptops

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
      I'm trying to be patient in waiting for a decent laptop with the recent highend AMD components. Will it be possible to get an AMD APU combined with a high performance GPU in a notebook?
      I was looking for decent AMD laptops with APU+dGPU as well. The highest-end one I was able to find is MSI GX60 or GX70. They seem to have decent screens as well, but they are not cheap.

There used to be some HP laptops with APU+dGPU, and right now I have an old Asus with APU+dGPU, but not sure if they are still making them...

This is a HUGE problem with buying AMD- their stuff is simply NOT AVAILABLE. Even if you want to buy AMD, and you know the company is making the chips, trying to get a machine that actually has those chips is nightmare. And with laptops unlike desktops, you cannot just buy components and assemble at home. There are some barebone Clevo laptops, but even they are all Intel... AMD should do something to work better with OEMs.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
        I'm trying to be patient in waiting for a decent laptop with the recent highend AMD components. Will it be possible to get an AMD APU combined with a high performance GPU in a notebook?
        Originally posted by coder111 View Post
        I was looking for decent AMD laptops with APU+dGPU as well. The highest-end one I was able to find is MSI GX60 or GX70. They seem to have decent screens as well, but they are not cheap.

There used to be some HP laptops with APU+dGPU, and right now I have an old Asus with APU+dGPU, but not sure if they are still making them...

This is a HUGE problem with buying AMD- their stuff is simply NOT AVAILABLE. Even if you want to buy AMD, and you know the company is making the chips, trying to get a machine that actually has those chips is nightmare. And with laptops unlike desktops, you cannot just buy components and assemble at home. There are some barebone Clevo laptops, but even they are all Intel... AMD should do something to work better with OEMs.
        If you guys can wait: wait for Carrizo! Expected to be released this summer and very promising.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post

+1
          I've bought new laptop 3 months ago and I could choose between 5 (4 because I frakking hate red when it comes to electronics) laptops! And it seems even worse right now, the new Lenovo E555 is a joke (at least I got the E545 extremely cheap).

Comment

ASUS still makes some AMD laptops

I googled around, and I found a couple of ASUS models with APU + dGPU and 1920x1080 screens:

Asus X550ZE
            Asus N551ZU

Unfortunatelly I do not see them available to buy with the 1920x1080 screens. Only the crappy 1024 screens. The models with nice screens seem to only be sold in places like Russia or Malaysia... Or Canada?

But all in all, they look like OK machines and they seem cheaper than MSI ones.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Support For Multiple Graphics Drivers With AMDKFD Kernel Driver

A patch published on Sunday for the new AMDKFD HSA kernel driver adds support for using more than one graphics card/driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...A-Multiple-KGD

On my laptop Lenovo G50-45 with AMD A6-6310 and R5-M230, not only i cant use both GPUs together (probably not even with Catalyst), but i cant even switch on R5-M230 at all with the free Radeon driver. And there are always great news, well not so great for me.

Extra: CrossFire is easy, just render 1/4 of the screen on R4-Mullins and 3/4 on R5-230M, regardless of OGL or D3D. You should consider that you are the only company that has Apu+Gpu systems that is your only strength. I found this laptop for 330eu without Windowz new and with just 40eu more i could bay one of my country's brands with a 2.4Ghz Ivy and a GF 740m the 1Ghz one that is strong as an 840m. I could also use Nine on that Gpu since is the only Kepler that does reach full clock with Nouveau. I wasn't informed for those AMD problems, just thievery.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                Extra: CrossFire is easy, just render 1/4 of the screen on R4-Mullins and 3/4 on R5-230M, regardless of OGL or D3D.
                It's not even remotely close to being that easy. You still have to perform most of the rendering on both GPUs, as it's nigh impossible to know what objects cover which parts of the screen without, at a minimum, running the vertex shaders. Some objects can span the whole screen. Some objects that aren't even on screen can still affect the pixel shaders due to shadowing effects. You'd only save some of the pixel shader stage, but then you would run into synchronisation issues where one GPU finishes its share of the frame and has to wait for the other one. It would just be faster and more consistent to just do it all on the faster of the two GPUs, and reserve the slower one for auxiliary calculations such as physics.

Comment

Working...
                X