Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing The AMD Catalyst Driver On Fedora 21

Phoronix: Installing The AMD Catalyst Driver On Fedora 21

Installing the AMD Catalyst (fglrx) driver on the latest Fedora release can sometimes be a challenge due to Fedora catering towards the open-source graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In F20 I could not use Gnome and fglrx together because Gnome started using EGL which fglrx did not support at that time. I take it that the latest version of fglrx is now capable of running the EGL-backend for Gnome?

Comment

Workaround package in AUR

Looks like a mess. I imagine Fedora will become completely incompatable with Catalyst once they make the full switch to Wayland and enable it by default.

I haven't ran across this issue with Arch but mainly because I'm using Cinnamon with the MDM display manager.

There is already a workaround package in AUR to solve this for users of GDM and Catalyst. The package needs to be re-installed after each Catalyst driver package update or at least until AMD fixes the issue or the package author makes a systemd service that does automatic patching at startup/shutdown.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/catalyst-fix-gdm
      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 02 January 2015, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Looks like a mess because it's Fedora and not Debian. Debian is straight forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          Looks like a mess. I imagine Fedora will become completely incompatable with Catalyst once they make the full switch to Wayland and enable it by default.
          It's Fedora to blame, not Catalyst.

I'm on Nvidia and F21, I did yesterday "grub2-install /dev/sda" and "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" only to find out that after reboot it fails to boot. I have to add "nomodeset=1" to kernel startup params from now on for F21 not to fail to boot. Because Fedora is stupid and the devs don't give a shit, they play one of 2 cards depending on the situation:

1) If you complain that the proprietary drivers aren't available on Fedora - they tell you that rpmfusion is there for a reason.
          2) If your graphics drivers don't install or boot or work from rpmfusion - they tell you it's a third party site and has nothing to do with Fedora.

And if you tell them that Ubuntu does it out of the box and better they tell you (mildly) fuck you troll Fedora is not Ubuntu.

I even uninstalled the nouveau driver and the stupid Fedora 21 still needs "nomodeset=1" to boot properly, FFS!

TL;DR: If you use Fedora you get the benefit of newer packages and the downside of moronic Red Hat policy/solutions like broken proprietary drivers (or another example - old chromium build) available from third party repos.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            It's Fedora to blame, not Catalyst.

I'm on Nvidia and F21, I did yesterday "grub2-install /dev/sda" and "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" only to find out that after reboot it fails to boot. I have to add "nomodeset=1" to kernel startup params from now on for F21 not to fail to boot. Because Fedora is stupid and the devs don't give a shit, they play one of 2 cards depending on the situation:

1) If you complain that the proprietary drivers aren't available on Fedora - they tell you that rpmfusion is there for a reason.
            2) If your graphics drivers don't install or boot or work from rpmfusion - they tell you it's a third party site and has nothing to do with Fedora.

And if you tell them that Ubuntu does it out of the box and better they tell you (mildly) fuck you troll Fedora is not Ubuntu.

I even uninstalled the nouveau driver and the stupid Fedora 21 still needs "nomodeset=1" to boot properly, FFS!

TL;DR: If you use Fedora you get the benefit of newer packages and the downside of moronic Red Hat policy/solutions like broken proprietary drivers (or another example - old chromium build) available from third party repos.
            "nomodeset=1" is required on all distributions with fglrx... Fedora has little control over what the fglrx drive does or what nouveau does however nouveau does not require nomodeset to be set.

Fedora has a single goal in mind: Cutting edge free, open software. Just because they don't follow your wants and needs to your specification means they're bad? You want them to support packages that in no way collide with their goals simply because it's convenient for you?

Boy if some people aren't pampered babies in this day and age...
            Last edited by computerquip; 03 January 2015, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
              bla bla
              since when working graphics drivers is "my wants" and not common sense and a must have?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                since when working graphics drivers is "my wants" and not common sense and a must have?
                The free graphics drivers - the ones that Fedora actually supports - work fine with it. What you are asking is beyond the scope of what the distribution has decided to offer, and they are certainly under no obligation to work with third-party graphics vendors just to simply suit your own personal convenience.
                Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 03 January 2015, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  The free graphics drivers - the ones that Fedora actually supports - work fine with it. What you are asking is beyond the scope of what the distribution has decided to offer, and they are certainly under no obligation to work with third-party graphics vendors just to simply suit your own personal convenience.
                  It's not personal convenience dude, if you don't realize this, you're too stupid.
                  And don't hijack my point with the "no obligation" bullshit, I didn't say or imply they owe me something, what I said is that they're morons and demagogues, just like you.

Comment

If you've got Mesa installed on Debian (lots of stuff depends on it, so it does), every time there's a Mesa security update, your proprietary graphics driver will break because the symlink to libgl*** will point back to Mesa and away from what came with your binary blob.

Installing is easy, but if you don't know that, maintaining can get interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X