Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 14.12 Linux Driver Released -- Huge Update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    That's funny. And people were calling me cynical because I said that AMD wouldn't contribute to upstream libva...
    That was me. Believe me, I am disappointed with AMD's approach to VAAPI support. Hopefully it's just a first step...

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      I'll probably switch over to Catalyst when I find the time. I've been experiencing weird glyph corruption with recent distributions like Ubuntu 14.10 and Fedora 21 that I didn't have in Ubuntu 14.04 with Oibaf and Ubuntu mainline with my HD7770. I've tried older kernels, mesa, xorg, freetype, disabled/enabled subpixel rendering and probably a few different things I don't remember since it's been ~1 month.
      That is glamor bug >> so xserver bug, AFAIK it is fixed in xserver 1.17 branch or git head main currently (depends in which time someone read or will read this) ... but it can't be backported to 1.16 because glyph cache is actually rewritten for 1.17 .
      Last edited by dungeon; 09 December 2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Great to see AMD also fixing the userspace part. After they pair it with the new kernel driver I will most likely start browsing for an R9 3xx series card, and maybe a FreeSync monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Funny, do you think it is possible to get 80+ fps with vsync on a 60 Hz display?

Btw. the driver has a shader cache in the $HOME/.AMD dir.
          Sorry :-) Sometimes I forgot that not everybody have a 120Hz monitor...

By the way, I have corruption (radesonsi) with my R9 290 if I set the 120Hz refresh. My 6970 didn't have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            That is glamor bug >> so xserver bug, AFAIK it is fixed in xserver 1.17 branch or git head main currently (depends in which time someone read or will read this) ... but it can't be backported to 1.16 because glyph cache is actually rewritten for 1.17 .
            What fix are you referring to? Keith's glamor glyphs rewrite hasn't even landed in Git master yet, so it most definitely won't be in 1.17. And I don't know of any other fix for this problem, so it's most likely not fixed yet I'm afraid.

Comment

The monkey who wrote something about 3.17 support was not correctly informed as from 3.17 to 3.18 there was no extra patch needed...
              And that this slips into the final release notes tells a lot about the seriousness of AMD with its linux drivers.

Comment

Funny, do you think it is possible to get 80+ fps with vsync on a 60 Hz display?

Btw. the driver has a shader cache in the $HOME/.AMD dir.
                So Path of Exile will work without lag now?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                  they work better in 2d and 3d or not? someone test and talk about games like cs go, dota 2
                  I have installed it on my SL 7 machine witha A10-7850k and I got about 10fps more on dota 2 and I wramp up the graphics a notch. I have no problems on my KDE desktop with glitches or waking up as others say here.

I have also installed it on my wifes ubuntu 14.04 machine with an Radeon 7950 and it also works perfectly (we haven't found any problems yet), and she got about 5fps more in dota 2 and Civ 5 also flows better.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                    I have an R9 290x and my games have been running well. Still, it can't keep the FPS > 60 at Dota 2 (all settings maxed) consistently (varries roughly between 45 and 90).
                    Really? What's Gallium like with latest mesa from git and kernel 3.18? I haven't seen any dips in online gaming with my 6870 using Gallium, and I was planning on upgrading to a 285 later, just to get that AMDGPU driver goodness in 3.19. But if the performance of a 290X is worse than my 6870 in Source games, forget it!

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      ... just to get that AMDGPU driver goodness in 3.19...
                      There's no amdgpu driver goodness in 3.19. To my knowledge, patches haven't even been submitted for review yet, let alone reviewed (for instance, it took 6 revisions and 5 months for the HSA driver to finally get merged).

Comment

Working...
                      X