No announcement yet.

Better Fan Control Support Coming To The Open-Source Radeon Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I finally have to ask... How do you pronounce Alex Deucher's last name? If I ever meet him I don't want to call him "Douch-er" if that is wrong. If it is, however, said like that then I hope the other school kids weren't too hard on him.

Comment

My MSI 7850 power edition spins both fans in reverse at start up.

Catalyst boots to normal speed, but does not set it to normal upon resume from sleep.
      Mesa always runs my card at 100% reverse.

Will this update fix Mesa for me?
      Anyone know how to get Mesa to set the fan profile to normal?

Comment

My Radeon HD5850 is sort of irritating under linux since dpm was put in use. In my case fan is quiet for a few seconds and then speeds up for a few secs and does that all the time. I'm not gaming at all just use regular surfing etc although it's E19 with compositor. I only wish for a fix which would stabilize that sorta erratic behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          I think I finally have to ask... How do you pronounce Alex Deucher's last name? If I ever meet him I don't want to call him "Douch-er" if that is wrong. If it is, however, said like that then I hope the other school kids weren't too hard on him.
          I think its like when you say deutch. [Doič:r] and č is like the English ch in the word chocolate.

Comment

We should file a bug report about Alex' name so he can fix it. ;-)
            Is it to be pronounced German with eu being a single unified vocal (sounds a bit like oi in English) and a soft ch, or is it like German sch (or similar with this Czech/Slovak č) which would then sound like Alex Deutscher (Alex, the German), or is it French-style dou-cher or an English Dy-ker?

In other news: great maintenance.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Power management and fan speed and what not sounds like a lot of arduous code to write and debug, so thanks a lot Alex for taking care of this!

I too have been silently pronouncing his last name as "Douch-er" even though I'm German myself, probably not a good idea going forward haha.

Comment

Finally! I've been waiting a long time for this patch (and still am). It's the only reason why I'm not using the open-source radeon driver. Big thanks to Alex!

I guess we'll have to expect this patch to be implemented earliest in february, right?

Comment

Deucher is Swiss and my family has always pronounced it "Doi-ker".

Comment

Patching the language section of the brain with the latest "Doi-ker" patch. New vocal spelling correction applied and activated.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                      Catalyst boots to normal speed, but does not set it to normal upon resume from sleep.
                      Finally, somebody else reporting the same issue as me! I really don't understand how a driver can pass validation with such a glaring bug that is probably piece of cake to fix. Clearly Catalyst is already capable of fan control, but for some reason it screws up after a suspend/resume cycle. I contacted customer care and they got me to report the issue here, but I haven't heard a response from them since: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D218498341

I even installed the fglrx 14.50 alpha last night, and the bug is still present.

Comment

Working...
                      X